Chapter 39-Speculations

Draeyer Academy
Drae Skyland
Northeastern Space

Gael pushed open the doors to the headmaster's office. A broad smile had been gracing his face for a while, and the old man in the room was quick to notice.

"I would've expected for you to look stressed after correcting examination papers," Donovan said, "but it seems to be quite the opposite. I take it the results were to your liking?"

His smile only broadened as he stood in front of the older man's desk. He crossed his arms over his chest before speaking. "Alec is tied with Areisha as the 1st in rank among the first years."

The headmaster chuckled as he leaned forward. He entwined his hands on the table, still wearing the amused smile on his face. When he stopped chuckling, he shook his head. "I have a feeling Areisha won't like it one bit." Gael nodded in return.

"Is Alec all right now?"

"He has been following Nurse Jemial's instructions for the past week. He's feeling better, and in a few more days he'll be completely healed."

He heard a click and he twisted his head to look back at the door. In that moment, Kreis entered with a folder in his hand. He was still dressed in his black leather riding clothes. His hair stuck out in all directions, and his cheeks had the slightest tinge of pink. Once he closed the door, Gael raised a brow at the angered frown on his face.

"Why on Kosmos did you not tell me Alec was injured?" Kreis said. "I wouldn't have known if I didn't see his arm on a sling when I returned the dagger."

"I thought you already knew," Gael shrugged. Kreis rolled his eyes, before freezing at Gael's next words. "Are you going to meet up with Meolie?"

"Why is it that every time I come here, you guys always think it's about her?" Kreis said. He messed up his hair as he grumbled profanities under his breath.

"That's because you have a lot of people in hand to do your bidding yet you come here yourself," the headmaster said. "And people who have eyes would see the obvious between the two of you."

"These documents I found relating to Alec are important, and I can't have just anyone seeing them," the Head Ryder said. "And I would very much like to rub on your faces that I have my own ways of doing things." He directed the last part at Gael, who in return shook his head.

"What are these documents you found?" Donovan asked. The laughter in his eyes had vanished and he had a frown between his grey brows. Gael quirked one of his own brows at his behavior but made no comment. Kreis strode further and gave the brown folder to Gael. He took it in his hand and flipped it open. His eyes scanned over the first page, and saw the image of man with pale blue eyes who almost looked like the spitting image of Alec, if it weren't for the scar which crossed over his left cheek. His brows rose to his hairline when he read the name written there.

"Alen Arden?" he asked. "What about him?"

"Before we brought Alec here, you asked me to have someone check his background in order to gain a clue on why, would someone be out to kill him."

"I remember clearly that we got nothing." Kreis nodded at him, before taking the folder back and waving it in front of his face.

"I've been curious about Alen for a while now," he said. "After seeing Alec's skills, I figured he had some sort of severe training at very young age. And then I thought what type of man would have a child undergo such rigorous training. I'm sure you've thought of this too, Gael." The professor nodded at his friend, both as a yes and a gesture for him to continue.

"I did some research about him, and received the same things we got on Alec. A name, age, birth date, and no mention of the parents as well," he said. "But then, I managed to dig out some papers showing transactions he made in a bank in Icefall City.