Chapter 24-Cold Fire

Draeyer Academy
Drae Skyland
Northeastern Space

Alec's eyelids closed as the feel of the soft grass, where he sat, gave him a buzz of peace from somewhere within him. He inhaled the sweet scent of flowers and humid air which the wind blew towards the clearing from the lake. He looked back up and his pale orbs met with dark brown-orange ones. Taking a deep breath, he stood and walked over to where his classmates gathered in front of Professor Gravis. Feeling the man's eyes still lingering on him, he opted to fix his attention on the three adorable creatures crawling along side him.

He chuckled when the grey Draeling clung to his combat trousers and climbed up to the top of his head, taking care to avoid imbedding her sharp claws on his flesh. Her brothers looked up at them, before they flapped their wings and landed on either side of his shoulders.

"Seriously?" he mumbled. A smile continued to tug at his lips until he stood next Solana and Knox in the group. "Climb down guys."

The two males hopped off of him, while Entiny continued to settle herself on his head. He let out a sigh, and grabbed her small body. As gentle as he could be, he cradled her in one arm, while he rubbed her head.

Two days ago, Professor Linan came and checked on the triplets. He remembered how he sighed in relief, when the professor declared that his Draes were all well. But worry replaced that relief when the lanky professor broke the news to him.

"Drae's Vigor have powerful healing abilities, but they can't always heal permanent damages from birth. Entiny has an abnormality in her heart, one similar to the Draes who are born along with one or more. It beats so weakly that at times it's barely there," Professor Linan said. "As much as possible, do not tire her."

He sighed yet again, and looked to the front when Professor Gravis spoke. The man's eyes still lingered on him from time to time, and it made him uncomfortable after remembering what happened days before. I still haven't apologized, he thought.

"Today, we'll be heading into the Southern Woods," the man yelled. "I have prepared a little activity for you all there. Form two lines and follow me."

He heard groans, especially one coming from Solana, while her brother rolled his eyes and grumbled as well. Soon two lines, 16 students each, trailed after Professor Gravis into the woods.

As they followed a narrow path covered in the lush expanse of greens, he ducked every now and then to avoid the thick low branches hindering their way. As they continued further into the woods, he noticed how the trees grew taller and taller, and the undergrowth getting thicker.

After a couple more swerving and ducking along the woodland path, they came across a glade, almost as wide as the one near the lake. Looking up, Alec saw the tallest and the thickest tree he had ever laid eyes upon. Needle leaves, similar to the snow pines in Arktis, adorned its fruitless branches. Its trunk was so thick he doubted if anyone could actually circle their arms around it. Its roots covered a good amount of the glade, with a few smaller trees growing in between.

As his gaze shifted higher, the branches grew shorter and he caught sight of a white flag at the top. The Draeyer Academy emblem shown on the field of white as the wind blew on it.

"This is where I see how my endurance training worked on you all," Professor Gravis began. Using his only hand, he grabbed a small knife from his leather belt. He spun, and with movements like water, he released and the blade flew up the tree. It landed below where a rope tied the flag's pole to the tree. "Touch the knife, the flag, and climb back down."

A series of chatter erupted. It contained a mixture of excitement, doubts and protests of the activity their professor mentioned. He on the other hand, stared at the tree with blank pale blue eyes. Numerous times in Arktis, he climbed trees for good hiding spots during his hunts. He would be fine. Professor Gravis silenced them all with a loud cough. Once silence settled over them, he spoke.