entry 05

Ruth
19:05
19 october 2016
glendale, georgia...

Nathanael hopped the fence to the orchard today with a camera slung around his neck. Perhaps that's what he did for a living: took pictures. A photographer. Or photojournalist.

I'd seen him out with it before, but I looked out the window in wonder today at how peaceful he seemed. Sometimes he would take quick shots of our trees and keep moving. Other times he would come to a complete halt and gaze, take off his eye glasses, lift the high tech camera then take a picture.

Once I lost him through the thickness of the trees, I left the window.

I felt like I thought of him too much. Like I had acquired a slight infatuation with the handsome, young white man. He wasn't someone that you saw at all in a place like Glendale. All the young men moved away to the city and raised a family there.

I couldn't help but wonder what business he had here.

I turned off the cornbread once I got back to the kitchen then brought out two plates. I would invite him to dinner.

Nathanael
20:36
19 october 2016
glendale, georgia...

I left the house a while ago and hopped the fence to the orchard across the street in hopes of getting some extra shots for the fun of it. It might've been about two hours ago. Maybe more.

This place was huge. Not only were there apples, but peaches, plums, and pears as well. I gathered a good amount of plums in my jean coat pockets and an even greater amount of pictures.

Soon, the sun began to set and I decided to turn around and make my way back to the house.

As soon as I came upon a turn in the orchard, I collided with a smaller figure.

"Oh!" I registered the black hair, and brown skin. She peered up at me through her thick lashes and grinned sheepishly. "I was comin' out to ask if you wanted to have dinner with me," I returned a small smile and nodded simply. Her grin widened before she spun on her heel and motioned for me to follow her.

"Wait," I grappled for my camera. She turned around sharply and looked on with inquisitive eyes. I held up the Canon, "Could I take a couple shots. . . of you?"

She remained silent for a minute. It was her turn to nod. I slid off my spectacles then lifted the camera to my eye. She stood against the peaches in a long, white, spaghetti strapped dress and no shoes. No makeup, no jewelry- nothing, yet she was undeniably flawless.

She held her head high and in a moment I took what would be my absolute favorite shots of my six year career.

"You got a real nice voice, darlin'," She broke the silence. "shame, you don't say much. . .

. . .My name's Ruth and I know you were wonderin'."

~~~~~

I appreciate those who took the time to read this story. Hope you enjoyed. x

finished:// 18 august 2016

book two:// z e m b l a n i t y

book three:// q u e r e n c i a