e n d

Nathanael stood at the entry of his daughter's room looking on as her mother prepared her for the day. He couldn't even fathom how his little girl had grown so much and was already preparing for one of the biggest days in her life. Well, kind of.

"Mommy, can't I go to work with you?"

Ruth hummed in amusement. "You don't want that, El." She said before reaching for another ribbon. "It's your first day of school."

"But I already know my spelling and maths!" The little girl insisted before going on to spell her name and a flawless account of hippopotamus. Nathanael chuckled silently.

"There's so much more to learn, baby girl. You ought to be thankful." Ruth smiled down at her.

Eleanor sighed, "I know,"

"And why's that?" Ruth asked.

"'Cause there's thousands of girls that wish they go to school like me, but they can't."

She leaned into her mother when she felt her warm embrace. "That's exactly." Ruth planted a kiss on her forehead as she finished up the last plait. "I love you, Eleanor."

" I love you too, Mama."

"Well, Ella, I must say you look very pretty!" Nathanael had slipped into the room. He crouched down in front of his daughter with a wide grin on his lips. "Who did your hair? It looks wonderful!"

"Mama did my hair, daddy." She giggled.

"Is that right?" He drawled, his eyes then moving to Ruth, drinking her in. "You gonna do mine too, Angel?"

El laughed as Ruth shook her head. "You're a mess." 

He was standing and leaning over to kiss her before she knew it. "I'm your mess," He grinned. "and you're stuck with me."

"I wouldn't wish for anything else." Ruth cooed lovingly against his lips, never minding the faint "ew!" coming from Eleanor.

"Yeah?" Nathanael smiled, pecking her lips twice more as Ruth nodded. "That's what I want to he-."

"Okay! I'm ready for school, y'all!" Eleanor exclaimed, standing near her bedroom door with her soft pink backpack in tow. 

Ruth ripped herself away from her husband in surprise. "Oh now you ready for school, lil girl?!"

"Oh!" Nathanael joined in. "Just a minute ago, you were begging to stay home."

"Come on, daddy!" El rushed to his side and began to tug on his hand. "You gonna make me late!" 

"Alright, alright! I'm coming." He laughed at his daughter's exasperated sigh. As she made her way out of the room, he turned back to his grinning wife. "I can't believe this." He admitted. 

"Nathanael, how many times you gon' say that?" She chuckled. "Y'all better get goin', cause she's gotta be there in twenty minutes; didn't you say y'all were gon' walk?"

"Yes, and it's only a five minute walk," He answered, nearing her again. "But we'll head out. I know there is probably going to be some kind of line I'll have to wait through."

Ruth rested her hands on his shoulders and rubbed gently. "She's gon' be alright, darlin'." She pressed a comforting kiss to his lips. "I love you." 

This brought a smile to his face. "I love you too, Ruth." He said, giving her hips a kind squeeze. 

After Ruth had seen the two out the door, they began their five minute trek to the schoolhouse. 

"Daddy, did you like school?" Eleanor quipped suddenly. 

Nathanael winced, "Well, not really."

"No?"

"Nah." He shook his head before peering down at the little girl. "I think you will, though. Don't you like to learn new words?" He saw her nod. "Remember to speak up in school, Ella."

"Yes, I like to learn new words. And I like to read." She looked up and in his eyes.

"Good." He grinned. "You also remember that you are not inferior to anyone. Do you know what inferior means?"

Her brows furrowed as she thought, "Like the inside of the house."

Nathanael chuckled softly before crouching down. They had made it to the edge of the school yard. "That's interior, sweetheart. When I say that you are not inferior, I mean that you deserve just as much respect and education as the child next to you." He explained. "Now, who are you?" He'd asked, feigning ignorance. 

"I'm Eleanor." The little girl declared, raising her small chin. "I'm smart, I'm beautiful and I'm a child of God."

"That's right." Nathanael smiled, reaching out to adjust her backpack. He pressed a kiss to her forehead and lingered there. "You never let anyone tell you different."

~

Thank you all for reading this story! This is a work that I am genuinely proud of and I appreciate all of you for the support that you contributed here. I love you all so much x

God bless

(PS) if y'all have read No Sugar by @PiesandThighs make sure to help her out and contribute a vote herehttps://www.wattpad.com/440480205-rebel-awards-2017-all-categories-are-closed-round/comment/3991535610This story really deserves it guys! Even if you can't vote, check this story out! :)Thanks x