entry 16

Ruth
13:19 
6 June, 2017
Manhattan, New York

"You sure you packed everything?" I had asked for the umpteenth time. 

Nathanael glanced back at me, amusement glittering in his blue eyes. "Yes, baby." He pressed a quick kiss to my lips. "Now you know we have to get to the airport."

I exhaled deeply. "Okay,"  We carried bags down the hall and packed them into the car before heading out. 

Neither one of us spoke on the way to the airport, but it wasn't at all necessary. With our hands clasped over the center console our words were only expressed through the tight squeeze by which we held each other. 

I walked with him through the customs, security and such, before walking beside him to the gate. 

"Flight 182 to Australia is now boarding! This is the second call!" The voice sounded over the intercom. 

Slowing to a stop, Nathanael and I faced one another. Despite his somber expression, I wore a bright smile. "Why you look so down?" I smoothed a hand through his slightly disheveled hair. 

"I don't like leaving you here, Ruth." He admitted, frowning. 

"Nathanael," I called softly. "Darlin', don't worry about me. I'll be fine. And believe me, I'll still be waitin'." I assured. In all honesty, I wanted to keep him here with me. He was after all, my husband. We carried out a small wedding at a beach and from then on, we hadn't even talked about his next assignment. It came so suddenly that I couldn't help but show my disappointment. 

He set down his bag and pulled me into an embrace. "I know," He said. "Don't be too bored without me."

I guffawed. "Oh I'll try." 

We stood there for a while, relishing each other's warmth. It would have to last a month and a half. Thankfully, he would be staying in Australia this time. "Alright, c'mon now Nathanael." I started to pull away. Reluctantly, we took a step back. "Just call when you get the chance," I said. "And have fun."

"I will, I will."

"Last call for flight 182 to Indonesia! Last call!" The speaker sounded again and before they had even finished, Nathanael had pulled me to him again and set his lips upon mine in a long and cherishing kiss. 

It seemed to be just too short as he pulled away and took up his bag. "I'll call you when I touchdown there, alright?" 

"Yeah," My voice was hardly above a whisper. "I love you."

"God dammit, I'm going to miss my flight." He pressed one last kiss to my lips and gave my hand a squeeze. "I love you."