entry 14

Nathanael
18:13
19 january, 2017
dubai, india

My phone lit up with a notification

could you meet me along the road? im not feeling well

As soon as the text came through, a sickening feeling washed over me. 

"Fuck," I murmured. I knew I should have gone with her. Or at least followed her. She wanted to go alone and see what she could find and now I get this text message. Ruth hardly ever texted. 

I nearly tripped over my feet rushing out of the camp we were in.  In a couple minutes since I had received the text, I hopped into the off-road jeep and sped away. I gripped the steering wheel as I kept my eyes trained for the yellow dress she had worn out today. 

I snatched up my device and dialed Ruth's number, only to hear her voicemail. "Fuck!" My grasp became even tighter on the wheel. 

After a few more minutes, I caught a glimpse of yellow through the trees and slowed the vehicle to a stop before hopping out. 

At the sound of a series of whimpers I moved as fast as I could through the trees. 

I came upon an opening in the small forest in time to see Ruth send her elbow into a man's nose and a kick to his stomach. 

She heard the movement of the bushes and a look of relief fell over her face. "Nathanael," She called.

"Chinaal!(whore!)" The man spat. I didn't know what he said, but I didn't have to. As soon as I was of good distance, I snagged him by his dingy collar and drew back my fist. A soft hand enclosed it and I met Ruth's gaze.

"No." She said simply. I didn't miss the tremor in her voice either.

"Ruth,"

"We should get back to the camp." She turned and began to walk away.

She was shaken up. Her eyes seemed slightly dazed and her dress had a rip in the side. I was thankful to know she put up a fight. And a good one considering she had the man at a slurring mess. 

Looking down at him, my eyebrows knitted furiously. He tried to move on her and it was simply unforgivable. My fist connected with his nose and he fell completely limp.

After dropping the man on the forest floor, I caught up with Ruth and drew her to my chest before she could get in the jeep. Her shoulders shook almost violently and her breathing was ragged and uneven. "Ruth," I drew back to see her. "Hey, look at me."

She did. And I knew that she was not okay.

"I need to get you back home," By that I meant, her real home.

Nathanael
11:00
21 january, 2017
glendale, georgia

I kicked the door shut with the heel of my foot before making my way upstairs to Ruth's room. We had to drive back into Dubai and catch the earliest flight to New York, then to Georgia, but during the whole process, Ruth had grown ill. 

Aside from being shaken up because of the assault, I knew she had become homesick. When I first began traveling, I struggled with this all the time, so when Ruth expressed her feeling nauseous and fatigued, I didn't hesitate to cut the rest of the trip. 

I eased her from my arms and onto her bed with a small frown. She had begun to break out in a sweat again.

"Do you want the A/C on, baby?" I moved her curls away from her forehead.

"The A/C ain't gone come on. Who's here to pay the bill?" She brought her dress over her head and tossed it out of her way. Then she reached behind her and unclasped her bra. My eyes widened as she slipped it from her arms and tossed it as well.

"Ruth," I whispered, stepping away. I began to reach for a dresser that stood in the far corner. "You need a t-shirt?" I shuffled through what was left of her clothes and plucked one out.

"I don't want a shirt, Nathanael." She stated. "Could you open that window?"

I rushed over and raised the panel. "I'll go get you some water."

"Come lie down," She called softly. 

I avoided looking in her direction as I made my way out of the room. "I'll be right back, angel."

My hands flew to my head. What the hell? I almost crumpled to my knees at the sight of her. Her jet black hair fell over completely bare shoulders. Below were beautiful, supple, brown mounds. My hands itched and I stirred in my jeans. How could she be so flawless without even trying. Ruth had a natural beauty and glow to her that could light up the entire room.

She's so breathtaking.

I poured a glass of water, but before I left out of the kitchen, I had to drink some for myself. 

I stepped back into the room and damn near dropped the glass on the wooden floor. A strained groan involuntarily left my throat at the sight of the woman completely naked and lying on her bed. Ruth rolled over onto her back then sat up. 

What was wrong with her?

"Please," I implored, clutching the water. "Ruth, you have to put something on." 

"It ain't hot to you?" She asked. "Good God, it's hot as hell can be."

"Y-yeah it is," I inched forward. "Drink some water," I offered her the glass. 

She sat up and stretched before taking the glass. I watched her drink before the brought the cup away and handed it to me. Even while keeping my eyes above her shoulders, my attraction for Ruth swelled. Her tongue peeked out to catch any vestige of water as she peered up at me through her lashes. Was she trying to give me a heart attack?

I turned and took a sip for myself then put the water down. 

"Why're we here?" Ruth spoke from behind me. 

I opened my mouth to answer, then closed it. Taking a deep breath, I eased down onto the bed and lifted a shoulder. "I thought you might have wanted to come back. This was your home for so long."

"Almost twenty-seven years." She said. "When I said I didn't wanna to stay here, I meant it. And I meant it for a reason."

"You didn't miss it?" I frowned.

"Of course," Her answer was immediate. "What's that sayin'-home is where the heart is?" Her eyes met mine and her lips curved into a smile. "My heart isn't here, darlin'."