IV. s a u d a d e

"I have a question," Ruth asked. She was leaning against the wooden desk that was covered in photos, edited and anew. 

"I might have an answer." Nathanael responded. He turned to her, giving the woman his full attention. 

She hesitated before eventually blurting, "What about your parents?"

Unexpectedly, this brought a small smile to Nathanael's face. He knew exactly what she meant by this and had been anticipating the question for a while now. "Would you like to meet them?" Is all he asked. 

"Of course," She gave a slight shrug. "It's just that you never talk about them."

"Well there's not much to talk about. They're the typical parents, you could say. Now, they're just enjoying retirement, so they travel as well. I believe that they're supposed to be coming through town in a couple weeks though."

"So I can meet them?" Ruth prompted nervously.

Nathanael smiled. "Of course." Something passed through his eyes then and a slight suspicion coursed through her. Once again he took on that calculating, look and searched her eyes. 

"Uh-oh," Ruth murmured, amused. 

"Ruth," He took her hand and threaded their fingers. "You know, I've never felt so good and so sure in my whole life than right now." It was hardly a question. Ruth hummed in agreement. "Do you feel the same?"

"Of course." She said. This man was undoubtedly the best thing that had ever happened to her. From meeting him, to New York, traveling along with him across the globe. She could only imagine how much my life would have remained so mundane without him.

He finally stood, pressed a kiss to her cheek and instructed for her to stay put and left his office. When he returned he also had a thin layer of sweat and a nervous air about him that worried her. "Nathanael," Ruth called, concerned.

"Going without you those months made me realize how much I just cannot live without you. And being with you, traveling or not, I see that you are my motivation, my strength and my inspiration." He took her hand and gently pulled her off of his desk. Then in the space of his own home office, he lowered to a kneel and Ruth's jaw fell completely slack. "There is absolutely no one else that I would dream of spending the rest of my life with, Ruth-" Pulling out the black velvet box, he revealed a stunning silver ring. "-Except you."

Tears stung at her eyes. The emotions proved to be just to much to fight as they spilled out. She was already nodding fervently

"Ruth May Graham, would you do me the honor of becoming my wife? Will you marry me?"

-

woah! I'm back. this is back. how have y'all been? x