Chapter 7

"Bunny, wait," you said quietly, standing. 

"Let me handle this, little mate," he growled. 

You reached for his arm. "You don't need to - "

North's hand landed on your shoulder. "(Y/N)." 

Your heart fell. North pulled you back towards him, and the two of you watched the scene unfold as a knot of dread erupted in your stomach. If only you had gone there to tell North that you were engaged to Bunnymund. Everything would be much simpler, much lighter. Maybe it would have been best to keep quiet about Cupid...

"We're family here, Bunnymund," Jack said stiffly. "You should never accuse another immortal of something - anything! - but especially something she didn't do." 

"You wouldn't know, Jack Frost," Bunny snapped, "You weren't even there." 

Jack gripped his staff tighter. "I love Cupid enough to know - " 

"You love her?" Bunny took a step closer. Jack looked nervous, but you knew he wouldn't back down. "How could you love someone who used an arrow of Lust to try to get me to sleep with her?!" 

"Stop saying that!" Jack yelled. 

"I respect honesty!" Bunny yelled in return. "I'm not going to let her get away with a lie!" 

"What is with you?! You wanna get Cupid out of the picture, so you can go a-and what? Marry (Y/N)? What'll that prove?" 

"Nothing! I don't want her out of the picture, I want her to stay away from (Y/N) and me." 

Jack poked Bunny's chest. "Would I be wrong to suggest that you couldn't make up your mind either way?" 

"Jack! I am loyal to (Y/N). I would never - ever - need to choose between her and someone else. Not at this point." 

You looked up at North, who was frowning deeply. His gaze flicked between the two other Guardians and the rest of the room. You wished that you didn't have to see him so upset - it was only making you more anxious to see what this might cause. 

"What do you think?" you whispered to North. 

He turned his gaze to you. "I know they need to stop arguing," he muttered. Then he looked back up at the room. You followed his gaze to where shadows were leaking from the seams of the walls, from behind the wall decoration and beneath furniture. You moved closer to North to avoid a slithering streak of darkness from touching your foot. You were terrified of the sudden creature-like shadows, and the fighting in front of you wan't helping. 

"What's that?" you murmured, ducking away from a flying shadow above your head. 

"I cannot say," North said quietly, shaking a shadow from his arm. You thought of Pitch. He'd know what these were; he'd dealt in shadows for centuries. North looked back at Bunny and Jack, as did you. 

"You'd never know what it's like to be truly in love... To be hurt by another girl!" Bunny snapped. Suddenly he grabbed Jack's sweatshirt, and Jack let go of his staff. It clattered to the ground with an explosion of frost, covering the floor in ice. You wanted to move towards them, but something held you back. "Don't think that you can come in here and tell me about rebounds." 

"You know that's what it was," Jack snarled. "You just wanted (Y/N) so you could forget about the last ones." 

Bunny shoved Jack against the wall. "I wouldn't choose (Y/N) over my past lovers." 

You felt a heavy pang in your chest. He wouldn't... Choose you...? North's hand brushed your arm, but you moved it away before he could touch you. You could feel your heart getting cold inside. You forced yourself to push the feeling of loss away, but it wasn't working. You felt stupid for believing that he loved you most, stupid for letting yourself fall so hard for him. If one of those past girls were back here, you would be nothing to him. 

Jack narrowed his eyes. "Then maybe (Y/N) deserves better." 

"Enough!" 

Light erupted from your hands and darted about the room. The shadows were vanquished for a moment, but came back in thicker clouds. They swirled about you, not touching you. The wind picked up, pushing the shadows around you in what looked like trails in a hurricane. With a striking jolt through your body, you realized that you were controlling them. They weren't trying to attack you, they were obeying your commands. 

You felt the wind buffet your dress and push your hair up, and the shadows began to leap away from you, moving about Bunny and Jack. You weren't sure what you were doing - how you were controlling them, or where this magic had come from - but you weren't about to try to make it stop. 

"I can't believe you two," you said, and your voice echoed. 

Your feet lifted from the ground. Your chest was bubbling, your throat felt jumpy. North stepped away from you, backing towards Bunny and Jack. 

"Honestly, how could you say those things to each other?" 

Bunny and Jack sent guilty glances to one another. Bunny's ears fell, and Jack looked down at the ground. Their looks and actions seemed to affect the shadows, because they fell away to your two friends' feet. They were still spinning, but slower now. 

"The truth is, Cupid did come on to Bunnymund last night. We're not trying to hurt her in any way, we're trying to keep her from doing it again. It was wrong of her, and maybe it was wrong of us to bring a third party into this. But you need to understand that Bunny and I were happy together and didn't appreciate this." 

Cupid sighed. Her voice was quiet. "It's... I-It's true... I did it. I'm so... I'm so sorry. To all of you." 

You felt her apology wasn't genuine, but you didn't say anything. You had more important matters to discuss with Bunny now.

The shadows leaped away from Jack and flew back to you. "Cupid, why would you...?" 

Jack looked crushed. You looked away from him. The shadows around you began to disperse, disappearing back into their normal places - beneath the couch, in the crevices of the room. But Bunny was still surrounded by them. You were still hovering, and light was still surrounding your hands and chest. 

"I know, Jack, I... I think we need to talk. M-Maybe take a break. I..." Her voice cracked. "I don't think I can do this anymore. Not you and I." 

Jack stepped away from her. "Why would you say that?" 

"I don't feel the same way, Jack, I think... I don't think I'm meant to be with you." 

"What do you mean?" he asked, his voice desperate. 

"I'm in love with someone else!" 

"Who? Bunny?" 

"No! It's... You wouldn't know them." 

"Cupid..." 

"I should go." 

"Wait - " 

"Goodbye, Jack. Everyone." 

You watched her leave. You knew what she meant, but did the others? Jack wiped a tear from his cheek and left the room as well. Moments later, you saw him dash past the window. Bunny looked back at you. You felt the ground beneath your feet again, and you waved your hand once. The light dashed into your hand and you tucked your hair behind your ear. 

"(Y/N)..." Bunny said quietly, stepping towards you. 

"I think we need a break as well, Bunny," you said, your heart thumping. 

"What?!" 

"If you wouldn't choose me over your past lovers, then maybe you need to think about what I actually mean to you. Am I what you want, or a replacement?" 

"(Y/N) - " 

"I should stay in my castle tonight anyway," you said, not looking at him. 

"I didn't mean it like that..." 

"Then what did you mean?" 

You swallowed back a lump in your throat and pursed your lips. You knew you would cry if you looked at him any longer. He opened his mouth, but he didn't say anything. 

"That's what I thought," you whispered.