Chapter 21

me: *neglects all other fanfics to write bunnymund*

The plan was simple (among other adjectives: horrifying, repulsive, unfair). After explaining everything to you in great detail, Phaedrus disappeared, leaving you with Pitch's unconscious body lying across your lap in the middle of the forest. 

"(Y/N)?" Jack. 

"Jack!" you called. "Come here... I-I need help." 

He floated from the trees and ran to you when he saw the problem. You didn't understand why he was so caring of everyone. He got to his knees and examined Pitch. 

"What happened?" he asked, gently touching Pitch's shoulder. 

"He... Um, Phaedrus... Left him here. I-I don't know why." 

You were lying through your teeth, and you felt your stomach grow queasy when you looked back at his face. It was drawn together in concern, his eyes a painful mix of concerned and confused. 

"Can you heal him?" he asked quickly. 

"I... I can try." 

"Try." 

You raised your hands above Pitch and closed your eyes. Okay. Just like last time. I believe, I believe, I believe... You felt a kind of shifting beneath your hands, and you kept your eyes closed. Something stirred inside of you. It felt like you were extracting the injuries from him. But as the shifting began to get stronger, your hands began to sting. Suddenly it was as if a thousand hornets were diving into your opened palms. You closed them and looked down at Pitch. 

His injuries hadn't changed. 

"You almost had it," Jack breathed. "They... They disappeared, a-and then they were back when you took your hands away." He looked up at you. "Are you okay?" 

"It hurt me," you said. "I don't think I'm powerful enough to do it on my own." 

Jack hesitated. He glanced between you and Pitch, then sat back on his heels. "Come on, we need to get him to the Pole." 

Taking him to the Pole would mean a gathering of the Guardians. When someone like you was hurt that bad, it was a desperate situation. And a Gathering of the Guardians would mean seeing Bunnymund. Your desire to avoid him was even more so knowing that you would have to hurt him. 

You bit your lip. "I... don't think so."

Jack was on his feet. "What? Why not?"

"L-Let me try again, I can do it on my own." 

"(Y/N) - " 

You held your hands over him again and tried to pull the injuries up again. You kept your eyes opened this time, still practically screaming the spell in your head: I believe, I believe! I believe - A sharp pain shot through your hands. You gasped and drew them away. 

"(Y/N), let's just take him to the Pole. The other Guardians can help - " 

"Then let them do it. I... I need to check on Aiden."

"But... We need you."

"You don't."

"Can't you see how powerful you are? We need you to heal him. You're our best asset."

"I can't... I can't go back there, Jack. Not now."

You knew you were being stubborn. You knew they needed you, that you had a lot to contribute. You could heal him - not on your own, but you could certainly help. Not to mention that you were perhaps the only one who actually trusted Pitch. But you didn't want to see Bunny. 

He took your hands and made you look him in the eye. "I know you're avoiding everyone because of what happened. If you come, I promise all you'll do is help Pitch. You won't have to talk to Ombric or North or anything. Please, (Y/N). He's hurt." 

You looked at Pitch and bit your lip. You needed to help him - he'd helped you. 

"Okay." Your voice caught, and you cleared it quickly. "O-Okay." 

Jack lifted Pitch with a flurry of snow. You opened a portal of light and darkness, and found yourself struggling to hold it with all three of you. You felt your chest growing tight and your hands shook. Jack didn't notice, just continued to examine Pitch's face. You wondered what he saw, what made him look so concerned. It was more than the bruising and scratches, it seemed like he saw something else there. 

The light collapsed and you found yourself in the Workshop. Jack laid Pitch down gently as North bustled in. 

"Jack? (Y/N)!" 

"Pitch is hurt," Jack said quickly. 

"Pitch..." North pushed a big button on his control panel and hurried over to you. He put his hand on your shoulder, and you bushed him off, not looking him in the eye. Outside, the Northern Lights twirled into the sky. "What happened?" 

"Phaedrus got to him, we think," Jack told him. 

"The other Guardians will be here soon," North said. "Together, we can heal him." 

"(Y/N) has healing power," Jack informed. "She'll be the most help here." 

North nodded. He turned around and walked to the control panel. Behind you, you heard the fluttering of wings. Tooth. She smiled and waved, but seemed reserved. Next came Sandy, who smiled a friendly smile. At the same time, Ombric entered with a poof of magic, and didn't meet your eye. Manny was after him, and you noted that if Manny was there, it was grave indeed. 

Finally Bunny made an appearance. You fidgeted with your fingers and looked away from him, willing yourself to disappear. I have to hurt him, you thought. I am going to destroy him. You risked a glance at him. His ears were down, his eyes glazed over. It sent a bolt through your body. 

"Pitch has been hurt," North announced. "We need to work together to heal him. (Y/N)?" 

You licked your lips and stared at Pitch as you said, "I can heal him, but I don't have enough power. All of us have to contribute if we're going to be able to bring him from where he is." 

"Where is he?" Tooth asked. 

You looked up at her. "Near death." 

She looked down at him. You swallowed and formed a kind of operating table from vines and leaves, then pulled him up to your level. Everything came natural, and you hardly even thought of what you were doing. Your mind was mostly on Bunny, how he was so close... And yet so, so far. 

"Ombric, your spell. 'I believe'? That's what I've used." 

"How do you know that spell?" Ombric asked. "I never told it to you." 

"Jack told me," you replied, trying not to portray an icy tone. 

He frowned and looked back at Pitch, his lips pursed. 

"When did you discover your... Healing powers?" Bunnymund asked. 

You didn't lift your head, only your eyes. Even looking at him seemed a betrayal. You tried not to imagine his eyes close to yours, you tried not to imagine his lips pressed against yours. But it wasn't working. You felt like you were sinking further away from him every time you blinked. 

"Today, actually." You cleared your throat to try to cover the catch in your voice. 

A lump rose in your throat, thinking that Bunny should have been there. You felt a tingling sensation in your nose, a dreadful pendulum swinging in your stomach. He should have been there.