Chapter 29

the problem with writing while watching tv is that i get too distracted and leave out details or miss mini plot holes so sorry if the last chapter is a little choppy

Your head whipped up to see Phaedrus melting from the wall. Your stomach dropped as his eyes met yours, lit with a fire of determined greed. You cowered behind the boxes more, feeling your heart pound harder. He was here for you, for your power, and he would stop at nothing to get what he wanted. 

"Pitch, my brother, how lovely to see you again." 

You risked another glance and saw Pitch being pulled by his elbow. He yanked his arm away and went tumbling back to the Guardians, who seemed much more welcoming to him now. You wondered how much more of his power he'd had returned by Manny. 

"Give (Y/N) back to us," Pitch demanded. 

Phaedrus continued, "You're never going to see my (Y/N) again. It's best to give up, really. Like you said, the sooner you do, the less it'll hurt."

"We will not stop fighting," North said firmly.

"Really?" Phaedrus chuckled, and and you could feel his chilling presence coming closer. "What if I told you that my (Y/N) was in this room, and she hadn't revealed herself to you? Wouldn't make her very loyal, now, would it?"

"She wouldn't do that," Jack said.

"Sure she would. She's listening right now, trying to figure out your plans. Aren't you, (Y/N)?"

You held your breath and listened closely. It was silent, all of the Guardians trying to figure out if you were indeed hiding. You were... But for different reasons than what Phaedrus claimed. You couldn't reveal yourself to them, not when you'd just given into the darkness. Not when you'd ignored going to see any of them for so long...

"Fine," Phaedrus growled, "I'll make you come out."

You heard Bunny let out a cry. Without thinking, you leaped from behind the boxes. A collective "(Y/N)!" came from the Guardians gathered, but you ignored them. You shot over to Phaedrus and whipped a beam of shadow at him, which caused him to allow Bunny to sink back to the ground. The Pooka was weak, and without magic he wouldn't recover fast enough to do anything. You landed in front of Bunny as Phaedrus landed on the ground. 

"Don't you see, Guardians?" He turned to the Guardians gathered in front of you. "She doesn't want you to die but she certainly wants to overpower you all."

You put a hand on Bunny's shoulder and glared at Phaedrus, but something kept you from saying anything. It felt like some... Creature was holding you back. 

"What has happened to you, (Y/N)?" North asked. 

"It's Mother Nature," you replied. "It doesn't matter what happened to me... I need to make sure you're all safe." 

Think of Aiden, (Y/N). You save these Guardians, and I'll kill him. 

"You wouldn't kill your own son!" you screamed, sending blackened vines in his direction. 

"Wouldn't I?" he replied, chuckling. He caught the vines as they began to wrap around his wrists. He gave them a tight yank, which caused you to stumble towards him. You righted yourself and pulled the vines back to you. 

"So what? What do you want this time?" 

He appeared at your shoulder and leaned over you. Get me Jack's staff. 

"I can't," you said, forcing yourself to stare forward. Your fingers itched to wrap around the staff. You wanted that power as well. But Jack's staff was some of the most powerful magic in the room. You couldn't take that as well...

"You want to, (Y/N). You really, really want to. It's wonderful, dear, this darkness." 

"What... Did you do to yourself?" Bunny whispered, running his paw down your back. 

You looked up at his green eyes and tried to push the desire for the staff away. It was comfortable having him next to you, but after the doubt he'd shown... You weren't sure how you felt, and you didn't reply to the Pooka. 

"Well," Phaedrus said, lifting a hand. "We wouldn't want to postpone the show, now, would we, (Y/N)?"

"Phaedrus? Wait - "

He began forming a ball of shadow in his hand. An evil glint flashed into his eyes. He aimed it at the Guardians, who were gathered together, save for Bunny. You dashed in front of the darkness, dragging Bunny with you. You flashed a forcefield around you and the Guardians as a dark beam sped towards you. It bounced off the protection, but you felt it as if someone had hit your chest with a hammer. You wavered.

"You can't hold a forcefield for long, (Y/N)," he said, forming another ball of shadow. "Just give it up now."

"Don't hurt them!" you demanded, your voice husky from heavy fear. "You'll never be as powerful as Pitch, Phaedrus. You give it up, before you make a fool of yourself." 

"I'll never give up, (Y/N). Not until I have my happy ending. Now get the staff.

He threw shadows again, and you fell to your knees. The forcefield was fading already.

"The staff?" Jack repeated. 

"Never mind it," you managed, your voice strained. Forcefield and conversation proved to be a difficult combination. 

"He wants my staff... Or he'll hurt Aiden." 

"I can protect Aiden," you replied quietly, your voice lifting into a squeak at the end. 

Phaedrus pounded against the forcefield with two more shadow attacks. You dipped your head and tried to concentrate. You could keep this up long enough. Phaedrus had to get weak at some point... 

The staff landed next to your knees. You looked up at Jack, who wrapped his arms around himself. 

"Jack, don't - " 

"Take it." He knelt down and put his hands beneath yours. Instantly, the forcefield was easier to hold. Double the power meant double the time. "Do you still have your snow globe?" 

"Yes, why?" 

He brushed hair from your face. "Phaedrus destroyed ours. Give it here, I'll take them away." 

"Hide," you whispered. You pulled the snow globe out and put it in his hand. "I'll find you." 

You grabbed the staff and jumped to your feet, then sent ice around the forcefield. The cold ricocheted up your arms and through your body, and a steady glow burst from you. The forcefield was strengthened, and you felt yourself getting stronger by the second as the snow flew around you and chilled the air in the Workshop. 

Jack tossed the snow globe to the ground. You looked back at him. "Thank you, Jack Frost." 

He nodded, then disappeared just as quickly as you had seen him. Tooth went next, with Sandy at her side. North stared at your for a moment, then let himself be pulled into the portal. Pitch looked destroyed, but Bunny pushed him through the portal. But Bunny lingered, and put his hands on your shoulders as another beam of shadow hit the forcefield. You knew that in just seconds you'd be ripped away from him again. He pulled you against him and pressed his lips against yours. 

"I... I-I'm sorry, Mother Nature." His voice wavered, and you knew what was coming. 

"You don't even believe in me anymore," you whispered, your throat tight. 

His paws left your cheeks and tears leaked from his eyes. "No... I don't." 

k so maybe it got a little worse but i got a bit carried away here i pROMISE it gets better after this!!!