Chapter 9

Pitch took it upon himself to truly help you with the teleportation. It took nearly an hour before you had formed a pillar of light big and powerful enough to teleport the both of you, and another half hour to successfully get you to where you were apparently trying to go. Pitch was beyond patient, and he seemed to enjoy the teaching process. He spoke gently and slowly, which turned out to be just what you needed to conquer the issue of being unable to use your powers. It seemed that he had been waiting to show someone what he was formerly capable of, and you were just as pleased with his teachings as he seemed to be. 

Finally, you stumbled over your own feet to find yourself at the edge of a forest. You stood straight and looked around. 

"We made it," Pitch said. 

"We did," you agreed, your chest bursting with pride. Finally you'd managed it. Finally...

Pitch began walking through the forest. You hurried to match paces with him. It got darker as you went deeper into the forest, but nothing around you jumped out as particularly nerve-wracking. Pitch seemed as calm as could be, which eased any fear that you might have, as well. Ironic, you thought. The man who used to strike fear in the hearts of so many is the one giving me reassurance now. 

"What is this place?"

"Ombric's home," Pitch replied.

"Ombric lives here?" you asked. 

"Not quite," he said with a chuckle. "Come on."

The forest actually turned out to be quite beautiful. You walked at Pitch's side, trying to take in everything, never stopping but always looking. Everything was so fascinating and enchanted. There was little movement, except for little orbs floating about the place. Curious, you thought about asking about them, but something told you it should remain a mystery. So you said nothing. 

With twinkling lights, a tall hedge emerged in front of your range of vision, and it parted for you. Long tendrils of flowers vines reached towards, almost welcoming. Pitch gestured with his head for you to go first, and you did. Happy children ran about on the other side of the leaf barrier, laughing and playing with each other.

"Pitch!" someone called, and a large group of children ran up as the two of you walked through the hedge. The leaves closed as you passed through it. 

"Hello, everyone," Pitch greeted them. "This is Mother - "

"Mother Nature!" one cried.

You smiled. "Hello."

"Ombric's been expecting you," a boy said, smiling. You looked up. He was tall and brunette, and seemed to be about the same age as you. When your eyes met his, you faltered for a moment. He was strikingly handsome, that was for sure, but he also seemed familiar...

"(Y/N)," Pitch said, motioning with his head. "I do believe you'll love Big Root."

"Big Root?" you repeated, tearing your gaze from the boy's. You turned and followed Pitch away from the crowd, which didn't fail to follow you, anyway. You dared a glance over your shoulder, and the boy was following, as well. 

"Ombric's home," Pitch explained. "There's a lot of history behind it - behind this entire village, in fact. But I'll let Ombric explain."

Pitch came to a stop at a large tree and pushed a door open. You ducked through the entrance and looked around. Books lined the shelves, all different sizes and colors. Tables and chairs all across the room were lined and stacked with papers, blueprints and printings. A few children trailed in after you, including the boy. You looked away, his gaze eating you. You knew him from somewhere - you knew you did. But why was he here? Why now?