twelve

I didn't always like Maddie.

I remember being as small as a tike and thinking that Maddie was annoying. Obviously, my perspective has changed. But when I was five I remember being so fed up with her constant trailing behind me. I remember snapping at her and she went crying to Melissa, and that's when I realized that Maddie was good friend and it would've been awful to lose that.

I thought about this in English. I sighed, tucking a blonde lock behind my ear. My eyes wandered over to the clock, only to be disappointed to find out I still had twenty minutes left until the bell was set to ring.

I zoned out on what the teacher was saying, starting lose myself in my own little fantasy. I thought about what it might've been like if Josh had asked me out, instead of Maddie.

Knowing me, I probably would've rejected him immediately, but if he had kept on asking, I definitely would've given in, just to get him off my back. And who knows, maybe we would've had a nice time on our date and decided that one more couldn't hurt. And maybe after that, he would ask me to be his girlfriend, like he did with Maddie.

Maddie.

I knew it was selfish of me to have feelings for Josh. I knew that. But what never crossed my mind was the fact that maybe I didn't like Josh because I genuinely liked him, maybe I liked Josh because he was Maddie's boyfriend.

Maybe I liked him because he was a new toy I wanted. He was the shiny bike that my neighbor had and I wanted it. But when I finally did get it, I grew bored rather quickly.

It was human nature to want something we can't have. No wonder my feelings for Josh came so abruptly, and hit me like a train. Maybe that's why I wanted him to be my boyfriend.

School had finally ended, and I stood in front of my locker, packing up for the day.

One of my teachers had requested me to stay after and discuss a test that I had failed.

The hallway was vacant, me being the only person to occupy the space. The buses were long gone, which resulted in me having to walk home. I hummed quietly to myself, while packing up my backpack.

I then proceeded to grab my bag and slammed my locker shut, making sure to lock it. I walked down the hallway, making sure to say hello to Hump.

"Hey kid," He smiled, leaning against his cleaning cart. "How's life treatin' ya?"

"Fine." I answered.

"Got any fresh gossip for me," Hump questioned. "I heard you're quite the gossip girl."

"Who, me?" I asked in bewilderment. "No. I try and stay away from ant type of gossip. Talking behind people's backs isn't cool."

"I know, I'm just playing with ya," Hump chuckled, nudging my shoulder slightly. "But, in case you're in the mood for a scoop, I heard some kids going at it in the girls' bathroom."

This was why I was friends with Hump.

He was basically a kid in my eyes. He never really matured past the age of twelve. He had the brain of that exact age, which made it easy to talk to him. And he never failed to report to me when he heard things about other students. I wasn't one to gossip, but I won't deny that hearing a secret about that two-faced Kendall Vertes always made me smug. Well, that and he always lets me in when I'm late, and makes sure to never tell the teachers.

"Really?" I wondered, leaning against a beige locker.

Hump nodded. "I was gonna go clean in there, but I heard some, uh...noises, so I decided to let the kids have their alone time."

I laughed, saying a quick goodbye to Hump. As I walked away, I heard him sluggishly wheel away his cart, until his steps became nonexistent.

Hungry for some juicy gossip to gush about to Maddie, I decided to head to the girls' bathroom. I was also curious about who would want to hook up during after school hours, instead of a comfortable bed.

I eventually found myself in front of the women's bathroom. Hump was right, people were having some fun in there. Smirking to myself, I pushed open the door, but immediately regretted that decision.

This was no scoop I was interested in telling Maddie.

The two looked up in shock, both turning a crimson color. I started unsteadily backing up, clear shock in my eyes.

"Wait, Chloe!"

When I saw the boy start to run, I mimicked his actions. I gained good speed, considering he was pulling up his pants while doing so.

Tears threatened my eyes as I ran. That's what I get for lurking. Stupid, curious, Chloe.

I eventually ran out of breath, leaning against a lamppost for support. I took deep breaths to steady myself as I heard uneven footsteps approaching me.

"Chloe." He breathed, hurt clear in his eyes.

I turned away, but he grabbed my arm and snapped my body forward.

"What the fuck do you want, Josh?" I snapped, my anger once getting the best of me.

I wanted to punch him. I wanted him to feel the pain he would cause many if they were to find out.

But I salon wanted to push him up onto the lamppost and punish him by smashing my lips onto his.

"Just let me explain-"

"Let you explain? It was pretty fucking obvious what you were doing, Josh." I spat, narrowing my coffee-like brown irises at him.

"But you need an explanation-"

I dryly laughed. "I need an explanation? Josh, you literally having sex with Mackenzie—Maddie's little fucking sister!"

hi friends!

i decided to throw a little update at you before i head off to camp.

so i'm sorry it isn't long and there might be a spelling errors but hey it's a chapter, right?

comment, vote!

love you!

resistance • cel {discontinued}On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara