Chapter 6 - Dinner

"So, how's college been treating you, Josh?" Cory asked. He paused. "Really well, actually. Yeah...um...I've missed you guys, of course. But...um...yeah, it's really helping me...uh...grow up." Josh stuttered. "Yeah, well these two will be up there next month." Topanga said nodding towards Maya and Riley. "Yeah. Well, they don't need to be worried. They're smart girls. They...uh...they'll look out for each other." Josh said. There was a silence. "So, how's the dinner, guys?" Topanga broke the tension. "It's really good, mom." Riley smiled. "Thank you, dear." She said. "So...anyone...uh...got anything...um...interesting to share?" Cory asked. "I'm starting 4th grade!" Auggie shouted. Everyone laughed a little. "Yep. Auggie, you are." Cory smiled. More silence. "Um...Mom. Can Maya and I be excused for a minute?" Riley asked. "Ummm...sure, okay." Topanga said. Riley hurried Maya to her room. She shut the door. "Thanks, Riles." Maya said. "How am I gonna tell them? I'm scared." Maya asked. "Uummmmmm." Riley said, high pitched. "Riley." Maya said, nervous. "Yeahh...well...they...um...kind of...already know. Don't kill me!" Riley said. "Rileyyy. How?" Maya asked. "They forced it out of me. But, don't worry. They're okay with it. You're an adult. But...um...they're expecting the the two of you to kind of...announce it." Riley said, sitting next to Maya. "Oh, God. I can't do that." Maya said.
{Meanwhile}
"Okay, Josh. Look. We know about you and Maya. And...we're okay with it." Topanga said, out of the blue. "You...uh...you what?" He said, his voice cracking. "Look, Josh it's okay. You're adults and you make your own decisions. However, we need you to tell us things like this. Because, a relationship like this could make things messy." Topanga said. Josh bit his lip. The girls walked out. "Hi, girls." Cory said. "Maya can I speak with you, honey?" Topanga said. Maya walked with her and they sat on Riley's bed. "What do you think about the relationship?" Maya blurted. "I see Riley told ya that much. Well. I'm happy to see you putting your love to use, Maya." Topanga smiled. Maya hugged her. "Thank you. And, I'm sorry. This relationship scared me but, I've been interested in him my whole life. To hear him tell me that he felt the same made me so...happy. Are you sure you're not upset?" Maya asked. "Not at all." Topanga took her hand and they went to the table. "So. Everyone is filled in now." Riley laughed. "Pretty much." Josh said. "Well. There's one thing that doesn't make this awkward." Riley said. "And what is that?" Maya laughed. "Love." Riley said. The gang enjoyed each other's company for a while and eventually, Josh went back to NYU and Maya slept over.