Chapter 9 - Realizations

The girls get out of the car and take a deep breath. "Here goes." Riley said. "We'll be fine, Riles. They'll be distracted by these outfits anyway." They laughed. As they walked around the corner, they saw Josh and Lucas on a bench by the door. "Hi!" The girls said. "Oh, my God." The boys said simultaneously, staring at the two gorgeous girls in front of them. They greeted each other and entered. The 4 were escorted to a table. "Thank you two so much for coming with us, really." Riley said, opening her menu. Joshua sighed. "What?" Lucas asked with a confused smile. "Lucas. We are so lucky. Do you hear these girls? All they do is praise us." Josh said as if Lucas should have been thinking the same things. "Oh, I know. I don't know how we managed to get them." Lucas said, patting Riley's knee. The girls laughed softly. They ordered and talked for a while. After slight arguing, Josh and Lucas finally split the bill, even though the girls insisted. They said their goodbyes. Maya and Riley got in the car, Maya driving. "So, you're pretty into him?" Riley asked, putting her seatbelt on. "Umm...no." Maya said, putting the car in drive. "Joking?" Riley asked, taking her sweater off to use it as a blanket. "Nope." Maya said, turning right. "Uh-oh. What happened?" Riley said, concerned. "No, not like that. I'm not into him because I'm in lo-" She cut herself off as she jerked the brake at a stop light. Riley swallowed. "You...you what?" Riley asked, slightly smiling. "Nothing. Um...I like him." She tried to redeem herself. "Whatever you saa-ayy." Riley said, teasing her. Maya pulled into their parking lot. They hopped out, and went to their room. "Hey, Maya! Can I have first shower tonight?" Riley asked, kicking her shoes off and dropping her purse on the sofa. "Yeah. I might wash my hair in the morning." Maya said as she sat on the arm of the couch and dramatically fell back. She grabbed a magazine from the coffee table and began reading. Boodaloop. Her phone went off. Maya sighed and shuffled her feet to the kitchen. She grabbed her phone off the counter and sat on the stool. Hey. What's Riley doing??? Josh texted her. She was confused. Showering, why? No response. There was 3 quick knocks at the door. "What?" She whispered to herself. She opened the door. She could barely tell it was Josh because he pulled her into the hall so quick. "How long does it take Riley to shower?" He asked, eagerly. "Umm. Like, half an hour." She said, with a confused laugh. "Tell Riley you need to run a quick errand or something." He said. "Umm...why would I do that?" She asked. "Because, I need to show you something!" He said, placing his hands on her waist. She sighed. She went back into the room and went to the bathroom. She knocked on the door with her palm. "HEY RILESS." She yelled. Riley turned the water down. "Yes?" She asked. "I need to run to the store for a minute but I'll be back in a little bit, okay?" She explained. "Okay!" She shouted, turning the water back up. Maya went back into the hall, stopping to put on some lip gloss and mascara. She was halfway out the door when Josh grabbed her wrist. "Joo-oshh. Slow down." She whined. He dragged her to his dorm. He sat down with her on the couch. He picked up a newspaper on the table. Maya laughed at the fact that he still had newspapers. "There is an art contest that the museum a couple blocks away is sponsoring. The winner gets 5,000 dollars and... I think you should enter." He said smiling as he tucked her hair behind her ear. "Josh. That's so sweet. But, I-I don't think could ever win something like that." She said, frowning. "Yes but, I do! That's got to have count for something" He said. "Josh..." She started. "I just think you should enter. There's no harm in it." He said, playing with the zipper on her jacket. "Fine. I'll think about it. She stood up. He followed her towards door. "Josh, thank you for believing in me." She looked down. "Maya..." She wouldn't look up at him. He placed his hands in her hair and pressed his top lip to her bottom, pushing her against the wall. She kissed him back as she tugged his hair. He put his hands tightly on her waist, pulling her close. She stopped. "Josh." He kissed her again. "Hmmm" he murmured, wanting to keep kissing her. He felt a tear on her face and quickly pulled back, keeping her close. "Maya, you're crying." He said, worried. She shrugged her shoulders up as she pulled the sleeves of her jacket and held them tight in her hands. "I-I just I...never knew... that could care about me this much." She admitted. He hugged her as tight as possible. "I always have and I always will, Maya." She continued to play with his hair. "I should go, Josh. It's getting late." She said. "Okayyyyyy. I'll see you tomorrow?" He asked opening the door for her. "Definitely." She said. She left and Josh realized in that moment that he loved her. He sighed and fell on the couch, regretting not telling her. She walked into her apartment. "Maya. Thank God! I was getting worried. Come on, The Bachelor's about to start." Riley said, patting the couch. The two girls spent the rest if the evening watching TV.