Chapter 11 - Misunderstandings

Maya had left the apartment. She went to her old house. Her mom was actually home. "Maya, baby girl?" Katy asked, worriedly staring at her daughter. Maya dropped her bags and broke into tears. Katy ran to her, cradling her. She rushed her on the couch and held her. "You don't have to tell me, Maya." Katy said. Maya sniffled and wiped her eyes. "Can I?" She asked. "Oh, thank God." Katy said. Maya laughed a laugh that said 'What am I crying for.'
"Um...Riley...and I got in a fight." Maya shifted on the couch. "Oh. What about?" Katy asked, sipping her coffee. Maya pulled the sleeves of her shirt."It. It, um...it was about...Josh and...I." Maya said. Katy hugged her. "Oh, Maya. This was bound to happen eventually." She said. Maya gave a light snicker. "Look, Maya. Riley's your best friend. You're inseparable, baby. Go! Find her. Talk." Katy said. Maya half-smiled. "Thanks, mom." She left. When she finally got to their building. She began walking to the door when she noticed a girl dragging Josh into the building. She had long, reddish hair. She wore a cheetah-print shirt and short, black shorts. He looked like he was laughing. Maya froze. Tears swelled in her eyes. She began running. She ran to the stairs and frantically climbed them. She flung the door open and shut it as she stood with her back to it, her palms pressed to the wood as she breathed heavily. "Maya!" Riley said through tears, running and hugging her neck. They sat down on the couch. "I was wrong, Maya. And...I don't really mean all that stuff I said." Riley said. Maya didn't respond. "Maya?" Riley asked. "Thank you, Riley. But...um, you see. You...uh...you're not totally wrong. Because...Josh...I think Josh is cheating on me." Her last words were tears. "Maya...I. It's okay. You'll always have me." Riley said. "I-" They both said. "You go." Riley said. "I'm sorry, Riles." She hugged Riley. "I'm sorry too." Riley said, smiling. There was a knock on the door. "I'll get it. You find a movie." Riley said, hopping up from the couch. "Okay." Maya said. Riley opened the door. Josh stepped in, hugging tight. "Hmmm." He responded to the hug of his niece. Riley pushed him off. "What's going on Riley?" He shut the door. Riley looked at Maya. Kill him or see how it plays out? Riley mouthed. Maya shrugged. They walked to the couch. "I could ask you...uh...the same, Josh." Riley frowned. "Maya? How much caffeine has she had?" He teased, starting to walk over to Maya. Riley grabbed his arm. "Riles..." Maya paused and shook her head. "Can I talk to you in the...um...the other room, Josh?" She asked, biting her lip. She walked in and he followed her. Riley frowned, sinking in the cushion. She softly shut the door. He started to grab her waist and lean in. She pushed him away and shakily exhaled. "Maya?" He asked. "Josh...um...I think, I think you should go." She said, running her fingers through her hair. "Wh-why?" He asked, becoming worried. "I just don't understand how you can stand there and...and pretend like everything's fine." She crossed her arms, hugging herself. "I just don't understand how you're not explaining yourself to me." He smiled. "Joshua. Really?" Maya replied, truly hurt that Josh could lie straight to her face. "Josh, I-I didn't know that you could think like that. Please go." Maya said. "Like what?" He asked, finally showing frustration. "Like a cheater! For God's sake. Am I not enough for you?" Maya asked, sitting on the bed as tears filled her eyes. He paused and sat down next to her. "Wait...Maya. You, you think I'm cheating on you?" He asked. "Wh-what?" She asked, realizing he hadn't been playing dumb. "Maya..." He said. "I saw you with...with that girl. With the red hair." Maya said. "Maya, I have to do a school project with her. If I ditch her, I'll get a bad grade." He said, almost laughing. "Oh...well, wonderful. I made a big deal out of nothing and I don't even trus-" "Maya...it's okay." He cut her off. He kissed her ear and grabbed her hand. They walked into the room. "You guys look made-up." Riley said. "Yeah...it was, um, kind of a misunderstanding." Maya said, sitting next to Riley as Josh sat down by her. The three enjoyed their night together.