Chapter 15 - Panic

It was finally winter break. It was a snowy, New York morning. People hustling through the streets with coats of fleece and hand warmers in their pockets to get to work. Maya woke up. It was 5am. She walked through the apartment to find a warmer blanket. Riley wasn't home. Maya's heart rate picked up but she took a deep breath and kept calling her. "Riley? Rileyyy?" Maya's panic came over her again. She called her. No answer. She texted her. Maya finally realized that Riley's phone was on the table. Everything was there except her purse. She ran to Josh's door and knocked, trying to make it so he could hear it but not to wake up others. A few moments later, Josh opened it. His hair was messy and he was in sweatpants. His face was sleepy. "Maya? It's so early; what are you doing here?" He said with a tired voice. His hand caressed her arm and held her hand. "Hi-I know. I'm sorry but, I'm really worried. Riley isn't home and she left her phone."
Maya said, frantic. "I thought she was with Lucas?" He said, more awake. "Well, she was. But, she came home. We went to sleep at like 1:00am. Where would she've gone?" Maya asked, shaking. Josh put his arm fully around her tightly. "Shh. It's okay. We'll call Lucas." He whispered. They stood in the hall and Josh quickly dialed the number. After 8 rings, he picked up. "Hello?" He said, groggily. "Hi. Lucas. It's Josh. Do you know where Riley is?" He asked like he was rushing Lucas for an answer. "Probably with Maya. I took her home at 12!" Lucas said, confused why Josh called him. "No. I'm with Maya. She said that she and Riley went to bed around 1 but, Maya woke up and she wasn't there." Josh explained, still holding her hand. "Um...call her, then!" Lucas said. "She left her phone." Maya said. Just then, Riley came walking down the hall. "Riley!" Maya shouted, running to her. "Nevermind." Josh said and hung up. "Where were you? I was scared to death!" Maya said. Josh went over to them. "I woke up at 4:50-ish and I reached over to check my phone. Then, I realized it had 5%. So, I looked and couldn't find the charger. Finally, I remembered it was in my laptop case, which I left at Topanga's. So, I had to find the key she gave me and I went over and got it...and now I'm here!" Riley smiled. "Oh, God. Rile-eyy! You give me heart attacks!" Riley just laughed. Riley walked into their dorm. Maya headed towards the door. Josh grabbed her waist. "I'll see you in a couple hours when I'm not half-asleep, okay?" He whispered, kissing her. "Okay." She smiled.