Chapter Five

SOPHIA

Sorry about last night. You should probably ice your head and take some Advil.

-Dylan

I read the note over for the third time since I woke up, trying to figure out why Dylan was trying to get my attention in the middle of the night. And why he used such a big rock, he could've broken my window.

When we were younger he threw rocks at my window all the time to get my attention, in the day time, but never so late.

I thought about asking him what he wanted, but eventually decided against it. He probably already felt bad, I didn't want to make him feel worse by bringing it up. So instead I planned to pretend like it never happened.

Once I was at school it was easy to act like I didn't have a bruise on my forehead covered by a small mountain of make up. No one other than Dylan and I knew what happened so nobody suspected anything. I could go about my morning like usual, and as a bonus I didn't see Dylan which made things even easier.

No one noticed anything off about me in first period which further proved that pretending was the right thing to do, so I was feeling pretty confident as I walked into Environmental Awareness class until I remembered the project and who my partner was.

I slowly made my way to the back of the class and plopped down in my new spot with an annoyed huff. This was the last place I wanted to be as a dull headache began to prick my forehead.

Students quickly filled in and the only person left was Damon. No surprise there.

Just as the bell rung he slipped into class, but at least he wasn't late this time.

He took his spot beside me as he shot a glare my way which I gladly returned.

As usual, Mr. Willis started off right away.

"I'm sure you're all just dying to know what this year long project is about, so I'll get right to it." He started, pausing to see if we were all paying attention, and of course we were.

"You and your partner will be assigned a small tree. The tree will already be fully grown but you are responsible of keeping it alive.

"All the trees have different meanings, and legend says that if you take care of the tree well, the meaning will come true in your life or between you and your partner."

I scoffed quietly.

"To keep your tree alive it needs love, affection and of course water. So that's what you'll give it. Even name the tree if you want.

"You will also be doing a written assignment, without your partner. I'll hand out the packages with the assignment next week."

Half the class looked at him with dumbfounded expressions while others looked confused and a couple people even looked pleased. And when I say a couple people I mean me and Damon. The rules to the project meant I would do all the tree work alone. We wouldn't have to work together at all, and for the written part Damon would't have me to rely on. I smirked at the thought of him failing the project without my help.

"Oh and by the way, you'll be filming the times you take care of your tree. Not every time but a video diary once or twice a week so I know that both you and your partner are doing an equal amount of work."

Now Damon and I were scowling at Mr. Devil.

"And class, you can take turns with the tree, you don't have to always be with your partner." He informed us.

I let out a sigh of relief. At least I didn't have to spend the whole project with the irritating human beside me.

For the rest of the class Mr. Willis assigned trees and rambled on about how we should talk to it about everything. Apparently talking to a tree could be very therapeutic.