Chapter Thirty

DAMON

My eyes shot open when I felt something move beside me on my bed.

What could possibly be on my bed?

Was it an alien? Or worse; the boogie man? I hated that guy.

I looked around and realized that I wasn't in my bedroom like I originally assumed.

I was in Sophia's house.

Then I remembered that I'd come over because she was screaming from her nightmare, and I decided to stay so she could feel safe.

"Dammit, dammit, dammit. I'm so dead. So, so, so dead." Sophia was whispering over and over to herself.

"Why is that sweetheart?" I asked, my voice husky from just waking up.

She jumped and whirled around to look at me, "Because its 11:30! We're late for school!" She exclaimed, rushing around her room in an attempt to find something to wear.

"Calm down, we can just call in sick." I suggested. It was no big deal if we missed one day.

"We can't just call in sick. Adults have to do that." She told me, frantically dragging a brush through her long blonde hair.

"If you be my mom, I'll be your dad." I joked, fighting back a smile when her eyes grew wide in horror.

"But that's lying. What if we get caught?"

I laughed, she was such a worry wart.

"Calm down Soph. I've done it a few times before, the school believes anything." I assured her, running an exasperated hand through my hair.

She chewed at her bottom lip and finally sat down beside me to contemplated my idea. My eyes immediately drifted to her mouth, I wanted to bite that lip, bad.

"Okay." She gave in after a few moments.

It took me a second or three to clear mind and realize what she said.

"Really?" I asked in disbelief, I didn't think it would be that easy to convince her to skip school.

She hesitantly nodded.

My lips lifted in a proud smile. Look at my sweetheart being all badass for once.

"Okay let's do this." I said and took her hand so I could lead her downstairs.

Once we found her home phone I dialled the school number and cleared my throat.

"Hello?" the secretary, who's name I couldn't remember, answered after a few rings.

"Hello, this is Mr. Mackenzie calling to inform you that my daughter, Sophia Mackenzie, will not be attending school today as she is sick." I said in a deep, businesslike tone.

Sophia put a hand over her mouth to stifle her giggles as I winked at her.

"Okay Mr. Mackenzie. And is there anything else I can do for you today?" She asked, and it almost sounded flirty.

"No thanks that's all. Have a good day." I replied and hung up.

"Did you hear how flirty she was? Very unprofessional." Sophia commented, rolling her eyes in annoyance.

"If I didn't know you better I'd say you're jealous." I teased and poked her in the side, causing her to squeal.

"I'm not jealous." She huffed, crossing her arms and jutting out her bottom lip.

For a second my mind went back to biting that lip but I quickly shook my head and focused on our conversation.

"It's okay if you're jealous. I find it adorable. Almost as adorable as your pout." I told her, taking her hand in mine to pull her to the couch.