Chapter Eighteen

SOPHIA

Up in Damon's room we both sat on his bed and an awkward silence fell over us. We just didn't know what to say to each other after everything that happened.

He beat up Dylan, comforted me, and then his mom thought we were dating. That was a lot to go through with him in one day, especially since not that long ago we loathed each other.

But things were different now, so I made it my duty to break the awkward silence by blurting out the first thing that came to mind.

"Do you like cheesecake?" My eyes widened when my brain registered what I said.

Cheesecake? Really?

When my stupid sentence finally registered in Damon's head he shot me a bewildered look that didn't last long because in seconds he was on the floor clutching his stomach as he laughed his butt off.

"C-cheesecake, r-really?" He chocked out between laughs.

"I just wanted to break that uncomfortable silence!" I exclaimed, scowling at him.

"Was the silence uncomfortable? It wasn't for me. Does being alone in my room make you uncomfortable?" Damon teased when his laughter died down.

"No!" I quickly shouted, then realized my mistake, shouting it out would just make him think I was lying.

I took a deep breath, "No." I said calmer.

"I think you're lying." He called me out, smirking.

"I'm not you big headed baboon." I retorted.

"Big headed baboon, really? Well in that case you're a crazy psycho chimp." He declared.

I looked at him like he was insane. Crazy psycho chimp? Well two can play at that game.

I narrowed my eyes and shot him my next insult "Hairy gross gorilla."

"Stupid singing swan." He shot back without missing a beat.

I was about to give him another one of my great insults when I realized what he said.

"Singing swan? I don't think that's much of an insult." I told him.

"It's not." He said with a shrug.

"Okay." I said slowly, it was very unlike Damon to give me compliments.

We fell into another silence that made me uncomfortable yet again. So to break it I told him something I'd wanted to since he beat up Dylan, instead of embarrassing myself and blurting something random again.

"Uh, I just wanted to say thanks for sticking up for me to Dylan. You could've used your words instead of your fists but I appreciate the gesture either way. " I said quietly. I didn't like violence but I understood why he did it.

He looked at me in shock but recovered quickly and said "No problem, ever since he came back I've wanted an excuse to punch him anyway, and it didn't satisfy me to do it at the party."

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, why would he want to hurt his best friend?

"He just seemed so fake, like he was trying to make us think he was the old Dylan so he could get on our good sides." He explained, seeing my confusion.

I nodded in understanding. What Damon said made sense, we were two of the most popular people in school so of course Dylan would try to get on our good side. But we now also knew his ulterior motives had to do with the bet to sleep with me. He had a lot of reasons to be fake with us.

"So how's Antonio doing?" Damon suddenly asked.

I raised an eyebrow at him and an amused smile lifted my lips. Was he seriously asking about Antonio, our tree?