Chapter Eleven

SOPHIA

You know that feeling you get, when your alarm clock goes off on a Monday morning? The feeling where your heart drops because you have to get up, get ready, and see people. That was how I felt Monday morning when my alarm went off. Usually I didn't mind school but after the weekend I had I really didn't want to see a single soul.

I groaned as I blindly smashed my hand down onto my bedside table until I found my alarm clock. Why did school have to start so early? Couldn't it start at noon? That way everyone could sleep in and have a decent lunch first.

Who came up with the idea to make school start just as the sun came up in the morning anyway? They had some serious problems they needed to sort out.

When I finally got the energy to get up I sluggishly took a shower and got ready for the day. I didn't bother picking out a nice outfit, instead pulling on grey sweatpants and a black hoody. Usually I'd try to look nice but that just wasn't going to happen today.

Once I got downstairs I was greeted by the smell of pancakes, much to my surprise. My aunt Joanne was patting grease off of bacon when I entered the kitchen and my uncle Ken was sitting at the dining table reading the newspaper.

It was strange for them to still be here, usually they'd be off to work or visiting Tori in the hospital by now.

When my parents died freshman year of high school my aunt and uncle took custody of me and even moved in to my parent's house so I wouldn't have to go through too many changes. But once everyone at school found out about my parent's death I had to take the rest of the school year online. Everyone was told I did a foreign exchange program but I was really just barricaded inside my room for the year. I needed to be alone, I couldn't deal with my grief so publicly.

Then along came Tori and life started to get easier. Even though we weren't actually sisters, saying we were was easier for her to understand. So that was what everyone else believed too.

"Good morning!" Aunt Jo sang.

I was immediately suspicious of her good mood.

"Morning." I mumbled back as I plopped down at the table beside while she set down plates of breakfast for all of us.

"Smells delicious hun." Uncle Ken complimented her.

She smiled back at him and gave him a peck on the cheek before sitting down with us.

While I stuffed my face with pancakes, bacon, and eggs, my aunt and uncle made small talk. Everything was so normal, except for the fact that Tori wasn't here with us.

Instead she was at the hospital, alone.

I made a mental note to visit her today.

"I'm off to school." I announced once I was finished eating.

I slipped on a pair of white sneakers, then made my way outside after exchanging quick goodbyes with my family.

- - - - - - - - -

"He did what!" Garrett yelled after I told him what happened between Dylan and I at the party.

The murderous look on his face was truly terrifying.

"Calm down, everything's fine now. We met up and straightened everything out already." I explained, placing a hand on his shoulder with the hope that it would somehow calm him down.

"So you guys are over." He stated.

I rolled my eyes, I knew this was coming. "He was drunk, you know people do stupid things when they're drunk. I told him that I wasn't sleeping with him anytime soon, and if he had a problem with that, then we're over. He said that he'd wait." I explained.