Chapter Fifteen

SOPHIA

Damon would be here any minute now. We decided that he'd come over at six o'clock, giving him time to have dinner first.

As I waited for him my mind went back to Environmental Awareness class today. Damon was in class early, and once I got there he decided to strike up a conversation with me. I couldn't even begin to imagine what possessed him to do that.

But the really confusing part was that I actually enjoyed talking to him. Way more than I should've.

And then, to make the whole thing even stranger, I invited Damon over. For our tree project of course, but also because I'd be home alone for the night. The fear of being all by myself and him showing up overpowered my hatred for Damon. That was the only reason I'd ever willingly ask Damon to come over.

Earlier this morning I asked Garrett to sleep over but his family was visiting for the week so he couldn't. So I had no choice but to invite Damon over, even if he was only staying for a little while. At least I wouldn't be alone the whole evening.

Three loud knocks at the front door brought me out of my thoughts and back to reality.

I rushed to the door and opened it to reveal a smiling Damon.

"I think I left my camera here last time." Was his greeting words.

"Well hello to you too." I said sarcastically, moving aside to let him in.

He took a quick look around before facing me. "Are you alone?" He asked.

"Yeah, until tomorrow." I answered uneasily. I tried to hide the fear in my voice but failed miserably.

"You don't like staying home alone?" He asked, clearly catching on.

"Uh, no. Not really." I told him truthfully, shaking my head and internally face palming for telling him one of my greatest weaknesses.

"Me too." He said, giving me a reassuring smile.

I looked up into his eyes to see that he was being serious, not teasing me like I though he would. I was almost positive he'd make fun of me for being such a baby.

"Anyway, we should start recording." I suggested, turning on my heels and making my way upstairs, effectively changing the subject.

Once we were in my room I took out his camera and gave it to him to set up. I was too lazy to do it myself.

He set it up silently as I filled up a watering can and placed Antonio in the sun by my window.

"Okay, I'll nod when I want you to start." Damon told me.

I watched him for the signal, and when he nodded I did my daily routine for Antonio.

Once I was done I flopped down onto my bed.

"What, no talking to the tree today?" He teased.

"Not this time." I mumbled.

He shut off his camera and placed it on the table beside my bed before taking a seat next to me.

"Wanna play a game?" He suddenly asked, a glimmer of childish excitement sparking in his eyes.

"What do you have in mind?" I asked, getting a little excited myself.

"Never have I ever." He practically sang.

I scrunched my nose in confusion, "Isn't that a drinking game?"

"Yeah, but it doesn't have to be. We can use food or juice." He suggested.

"Okay." I agreed.

We made our way downstairs and into the kitchen where I pulled out Hershey Kisses for us to use in the game.