Chapter 8 - "I'm So Sorry"

Belle chucked her photo album in the bottom of a packing box, debating whether or not to open it and have a crying session over the photos of her friends. She heard a tap on her door, looking up she skipped over the mess on her floor and opened it. Andy stepped forward as soon as the door was open and hugged her tightly.

“I’m so sorry,” he said, squeezing her. Belle started coughing, unable to breathe. She pushed him away slightly with her hands. He looked at her confused.

“Couldn’t breathe,” she coughed.

“Oops,” Andy smiled sheepishly.

“Where were you?” She asked.

“Just thinking,” he replied. “Sorry if I worried you.”

“You didn’t reply to me,” she said, frowning.

“I didn’t have my phone on me, I came here when I got your messages,” he explained.

“You still could have stayed and talked to me,” she said. “Instead of running off.”

“I know, I’m sorry, I was just angry,” he said.

“At me?” She asked.

“No,” he replied. “That you’re leaving, and I don’t want you to. I love you, you’re the most amazing person I know, and I don’t want to lose that.” Belle didn’t know what to say so she just stepped back into his arms and held him tightly.

***

Belle spent the next week attached to Andy, she didn’t go anywhere without him. They stayed home most of the time, just talking and being with each other. The day she left they all came to Sydney with her to see her off at the airport. She cried from the time she got out of the car and had to say goodbye, till the plane landed in Brisbane. She walked straight off the plane and to the bathroom to fix herself up. She wet a paper towel, dabbing at the black marks under her eyes and staring at her pale face in the mirror, she looked terrible. She walked back outside where her mother was waiting anxiously.

“Are you ok honey?” She asked. Belle just shook her head and kept walking, until she was out of the building. They got on a bus which took them to somewhere completely unfamiliar, then walked down the street a little until they found a taxi, which took them to their new home.

Belle stepped out of the car taking everything in. The house was alright. It was a big brick one. She wasn’t even sure where they were, some outer suburb of Brisbane she guessed. She waited for her mum to get out of the taxi and open the front door. Belle dropped her bag on small wooden coffee table near the entrance. The house was already partly furnished. She went straight to bed without saying anything to anyone or eating anything. It was only early and she spent a good part of the night staring at the freshly painted ceiling.

*******************************************************************************

She emailed Andy weekly, getting a reply straight away for the first few weeks. Soon his messages were shorter and consisted mostly of, ‘Sorry, busy with the band, email you some other time.’ The last time she had gotten this reply was 3 weeks after she’d sent hers. She sat at her computer with a fresh page wondering what to write next. Instead, she closed the page and called up one of her friends from school. She realized she was clinging on to something that was thousands of kilometres away; she needed to live her new life now.