Chapter 10 - Unexpected

Yay another Chapter!

Enjoy!💞

~

Ava's POV

My hands pressed against the prison doors, pushing them wide open. Stepping through the doorway, I walked out onto the gravel trail that led to the main area that was held outside the prison itself.

"Morning." Carol said from my left. I slightly turned my head as I waved back to her in the early morning with the rising sun that provided some light for me to see.

"Do you want something to eat?" She asked. The thought sunk into me. The emptiness in my stomach sent a rapid rush through me, but I ignored it like I usually would. Most of the time, I forgot about myself. I would forget to clean up a painful wound or even eat delicious food sometimes. I would put everyone I knew before myself.

But I knew for sure that one day, it'll kill me.

I don't know why I would do it to myself.

I don't know why I wouldn't care about myself.

I don't know why I would put these people before me.

Probably because the people I love, care about me more than anyone else.

Sadly, I was still disappointed about what happened yesterday. The horrifying scenes will constantly rush through my mind like water in a river. The thoughts and feelings would keep washing in until it came to a slow and painful ending. Yeah I've been on many runs myself before, but nothing that was like - that.

I instantly broke my daze as I replied to Carol, "No, but thank you..." I said to Carol who nodded lightly, but a flash of concern on her face dissolved away. She was the woman that was very caring. She would always ask questions about our health of safety just for her sake of relief. I didn't know much about her myself, but I believe she's had a rough time since the start of it all.

"Just do me a favor please and start working on the garden." Carol said as she continued to walk the way she was going to.

"Okay" I whispered ever so lightly without knowledge if Carol had heard my words or not. I walked through the long grass until I was at the small garden. Looking around, I grabbed a metal bucket. Crouching down, I begin to grab all of the bright, ripe vegetables that were ready to eat. Throwing them in the bucket harshly, I realized  the small amount of sweat that began to drip down my face from the beating sun.

I wiped my forehead lightly with the back of my hand. Then, began to continue my work on the garden alone.

"You could've done something..." The thought slipped through my mind as I realized I was starting to losing focus.

"You should've done something..." I shook my head as I tried my best to regain focus back on what I was doing.

"You didn't do anything!"

"Stop it!!!" I whimpered to myself as a few tears began to fall down my face easily. My hands ran through my distressed hair as I tugged on it slightly from such grief.

I knew for a fact that I was acting differently after what happened yesterday. I thought that people would think I was taking his death to seriously. I mean, yes, I just met him that day. But that boy, was something special to someone I care about dearly.

Beth.

The blonde girl who was a year or two older than me. The girl who was basically the sister that I never had. She was gorgeous inside and out. Man, the world needed more people like her.