Chapter 7

Later that night, I sat on my soft, pink comforter, leaned back on the white headboard, thinking about my playing the piano. How did I know how to play? I had no idea, honestly. Everything was just so foggy right now. Trying to remember just wasn't working, and I didn't know what to do. I was scared; what if it was permanent? What if I would never know anything about my past? My head hurt trying to process it all.

As I took a deep breath, someone knocked on my door. "Come in," I said, trying to push the worries into the back of my mind. "Hey," Cole smiled as he shut the door behind him. "Hi," I responded, putting on a fake smile. I had to pretend I was fine, at least for right now. I could talk to Cole later if I had to.

"Sadie!" "Sorry, what?" I blinked. "Are you alright?" His expression turned to one of concern. "Um..." I didn't know what to say, knowing I wasn't but not wanting to say so. "Sadie, you can talk to me about anything. I'm here for you." He gave a tiny smile, gently giving me encouragement.

"No, Cole. I'm not alright." Once I started speaking, the words just came out of my mouth.  I told him everything, how I was so worried, stressed, and confused, and he listened. He didn't interrupt once, just being patient until I finished. "It'll come back. You just have to wait for it."

I nodded silently, feeling slightly better after getting it all off my chest. "You have mail." He changed the topic after reassuring me. "Really? From who?" I started to get nervous. "It doesn't say, it just has your name and this address on the front." Cole handed me the letter.

I opened it quickly, not wanting to prolong my anxiety. It was silly to be worried over this, wasn't it? My heart dropped as I read: I see you. I am everywhere. Even now, as you hide from me, you can't get away. You can't run forever. You got lucky in the forest. Next time we meet, you won't be so fortunate.