Chapter 20

Epilogue

Like I knew it would, everything worked out. I got out of the hospital a few days later, and somehow, my wounds were healing rapidly. The doctor gave me pain pills in case I needed them, but for the most part, I was able to shut out the pain. After everything I'd been through, it didn't faze me too much anymore.

I explained everything to my aunt, and Cole invited her to live with him, as a parent figure. She agreed, and now we lived with Cole. She called the police and, after searching faithfully for a few months, they found John and put him back in jail.

Cole, with the help of my aunt, arranged a funeral for his parents, and we will payed our respects. Cole was taking it alright, but he still had a bit of adjusting to do.

We kept the piano, and I used it to teach Cole how to play. He and I often took walks in the park nearby. We never ventured into the forest. We were happy, living with each other. It was perfect.

   "What are you thinking about?" Cole asked, taking me out of my thought. We were sitting on the couch late at night, the fireplace flickering as it kept us warm. "Everything," I told him. "It all came together. We're happy." We both smiled. "Yes," he agreed. "There's no place I'd rather be than right here with you. I love you with all my heart." "I love you too."

And with that, he leaned in and kissed me. Not as powerfully as last time, but tenderly, making my heart skip beats. This was my happy ending. When I came into Cole's life, I had no clue all the bad would turn to good, or that I could ever feel safe again. Little did I know, I would have a love so powerful and true, that it would last forever, neither time nor death daring to touch it, and nothing ever would.