Before Departure

Naomi Carter

The twins stared at me with unbelieving eyes. Natt slapped a hand on his forehead, Nick grabbed my shoulder and asked in a very serious tone, "Naomi, are you alright?"

I shook him off. "Of course I'm alright."

He shook his head in exasperation, "Then why in your right mind would you want us to come along!?"

I bit my lip, "Not really to come... just to um follow."

"I don't get it," said Natt.

"I want you guys to keep track, you know. Do what you do best and be like spies," I said.

"More like a stalkers," said Natt.

"Why?" asked Nick still looking confused. I must admit, I liked seeing them this flustered and confused for a change. They always have that composed, know-it-all look that taking them by surprise is something I will want to do more often.

I took a deep breath and expelled it oh so slowly as I rearranged my thoughts in order to explain. "I don't really know what I'm supposed to do on dates..."

They rolled their eyes, and before they began cutting me with comments regarding my stupidity I quickly continued, "You do know that I seem to draw bad luck. Well, I don't want that to happen tomorrow. I don't want to ruin my very first date with West. The date I've been waiting for years. And I need you guys to help me and warn me if I'm doing something wrong."

Natt threw himself on the bed while his brother absently placed his chin between his thumb and index finger. "So you want us trailing you and giving advice?"

I nodded.

"Don't you think you're stressing too much about it?" asked Natt. "I mean, the first date is always memorable because you don't know what you're doing and things have their own surprising spin on events that tattoo themselves in your brain. Why don't you just let it happen naturally, no planning, no help, just take it nice and easy."

"I agree with Natt, Naomi." Nodded Nick, "You shouldn't need our help and just have fun with it. West will make sure you'll both enjoy the day."

I sighed and lied down next to Natt, closing my eyes as I explained, "It's because you guys don't know...the horrible turn of events that I caused."

"What do you mean?" The bed sunk again, and I felt Nick's weight beside me.

"This isn't really my first date... I went on one, once," I said.

"Now that I didn't know," said Natt.

"Well, I didn't know it was a date either until things got... awful," I said. "I thought it was just a regular day to hang out and have fun. But I didn't know he said it was a date."

"So how was it?" asked Nick.

"Disastrous," I said my face heating up at the memory. I buried my face in Natt's shoulder, seeing as it was closer than the pillow. "I don't wanna talk about it."

"I would love to hear about," said Natt patting my head absently.

"I would love not talking about it," I said firmly.

Nick chuckled and I felt him lie next to my other side. "Are you sure you want us tagging along?"

"Whisky agreed," I said. A meow was heard from under the bed.

"Well, we can't argue with the cat," joked Natt.

"So you're coming?" I asked leaning up on my forearms. They shrugged and said together, "We would have followed you even if you didn't ask."