The Last Line

West Gray

Damn Alex. I told him not to tell the girls that I was there. But what choice do I have once I've already been told on. It was going to happen sooner or later. Better get it over with.

I stepped into the room and was greeted by the sight of the girl I left home for. Her long glossy brown hair curled in the weirdest way that always made her look cute, she seemed quite a bit tired, her eyes had slight dark circles under them, and those big blue orbs stared into mine in shocked astonishment.

"Hi kitten," I said.

Naomi made no movement. She was frozen on the spot, either there're a hundred thoughts racing through her head right now, or her brain stopped functioning all at once. Well, I was in no hurry to see what she'll do next.

This past couple of days have been crazy as hell. Once I told my parents what I was planning, they looked at me and we got into a great discussion about making the right choices and shit. Well, technically, it was mom that gave the lecture. Dad just sat there, studying me. He was a quiet man. And can be as scary as hell. But then he interrupted my mom and asked me one question. "Are you sure?" I looked at him straight in the eye and nodded. Of course I'm sure. After that, I called my uncle Robert who had some connections and asked for help. Once that was done, Alex was next on my list.

After doing a little research, I was seriously impressed that the rumors about him in the business world were all true. The guy was a genius. He's sky-rocketing his father's company's reputation and earning millions of dollars... or was it billions? What amazes me more is that he's also in the music industry. He and his girlfriend released a CD last year, and earned a lot of fans. The problem is he doesn't have enough time to juggle both business and music anymore. And that's where I come in.

Dad has always taught me everything. I only realized that not many kids my age understand all that grown-up talk (well, I was seven). And I know everything dad knows.

After calling Alex, who seemed interested at first and mildly amused, he told me that just because I was Naomi's boyfriend it didn't mean that he'd go easy on me. Well, I never asked him to. And when he put me to the test, I passed it with flying colors.

I remember going into that demon's office with the papers he wanted, the documents checked, along with his f*cking coffee. 

"Your feet," I said scowling at them.

He just looked at me lazily.

"Place them back on the damn floor before I do it for you," I said.

He smirked and lounged back on his seat without moving his feet.

I sighed, "Do you want these things on the ground or on your damn desk?"

He smiled in amusement. "Desk." He removed his feet, allowing me to place the load I've been carrying. He scanned the papers and documents in minutes, making me wonder if he was even checking them properly. He tossed them aside, and looked at his coffee. He sipped it and spun his chair around to face the window, his back to me.

"So?" I asked.

"Pick them up," he said.

"I want to know if I'll be able to work here or not," I said tiredly.

"You're hired."

I blinked. "Then why'd you toss the documents?"

"To annoy you."