Chapter 47 - Chemo.

After staring at Noah and giving him a stone face look, I finally got the guts to ask him how long he had this disease.

"How long have you had cancer, Noah?" I said in a loud and angry tone.

"For almost 3 weeks." Noah answered, not giving me any eye contact. "That's why I coughed up blood at the shootout."

I couldn't believe it. I was stunned. I looked up, gazing off into space as Noah glanced up at me.

"Have you told anybody ye-"

"No and you have to SWEAR that you aren't either." Noah said in a serious tone. "I don't want anyone to know yet."

"Well Noah you've got to tell someone before it's too late!" I chanted.

"I don't want to tell nobody shit yet, Josh!" Noah barked back.

"And why not, Noah?"

"Because my mama just got out of the hospital and she's gonna blow shit way out of proportion. That's why I've been ignoring her calls all day." Noah said in a serious tone. "Plus I don't want Isaiah and his friends to know, and I don't want my daughter to get scared."

As Noah plopped down on the couch, tears of frustration trickled down his eyes as he leaned forward and covered up his face.

"The main reason why I don't want anyone to know is because they're gonna start treating me extra nice when that shit isn't coming from the heart." Noah groaned. "The only reason why I told you is because you're the only one who doesn't change personalities every 2 seconds."

"What do you mean by people treating you extra nice?" I asked. "Ain't that what you been wantin'?"

"I'm keeping it a secret because I'm absorbing how people treat me when they don't know that I have cancer because that let's me know how they really feel about me." Noah sighed. "If I come out and tell everyone I have cancer, everybody who doesn't give a shit about me or my health are going to start swarming in and treating me how they THINK I want to be treated."

As crazy as that sounded, Noah had a point. Still, I still think that he needed some more support.

"Noah, I'm here if you need me." I said.

"Not really, man." Noah groaned. "You goin' back to Washington. I'ma just be stuck here by myself."

"You know I'll stay if you need me to, Noah."

"Nah Josh, go on home." Noah said, cracking a small smile. "Quit puttin' your life on hold for us."

I scrunched my eyebrows, giving Noah a weird look.

"What you mean?"

"I see you keep on holding your girlfriend up because you keep on staying in Cali for our problems." Noah sighed. "I'm just saying go on home. We'll be alright."

I scratched my head, still wondering if I should stay. Just to contemplate, I convinced Kathy to let us two stay over another relatives house until we leave tomorrow. After I said goodbye to Noah, he went on home. He walked inside, gazing upon the empty and dark house. Feeling depressed all over again, Noah walked over to the thin and small knife, sitting on the couch and Rollin up his sleeves to cut again.

Meanwhile, Isaiah was lying down in Kayson's bed with him, reading him his favorite Spider Man story. Isaiah got to the end of the book, pointing and explaining the pictures to him.

"Then Spider man saved the town, returning to his girlfriend and grandmother." Isaiah smiled. "Then they had kids of their own."

Kayson smiled, then yawned a little.