thirty eight

As soon as I blew up on him (I am not calling him my father), he kicked us out and the large man had taken us back to our little room. Which I actually didn't mind because now I can be alone with Luke and not in the presence of that monster.

As soon as the door had closed and locked, I turned to Luke.

"What does he even want with us? Why is he keeping us here?" I asked exasperatedly, flopping myself down on the piece of rock that they called a bed.

"I don't think he wants us, I think he wants you. I was just in the way." Luke said, sitting down beside me.

"What does he even want with me? It's not like I'm going to move in with him and start calling him dad." I grumbled and Luke chuckled.

"This is just his own twisted way of having his daughter in his life." Luke sighed and wrapped an arm around me.

We sat in silence for a while, until we heard a light knock at the door.

"Um, come in?" I answered in a questioning tone.

"I wasn't being polite, I was just making sure you were decent." An obnoxious voice sounded from the other side of the door, followed by the door slowly opening and Jasmine casually strolling in.

But that's not why I gasped.

"Penny?" I asked in a hurt voice, keeping my eyes trained on someone who I thought of as a friend; at least I did.
Penny walked towards us, trailing Jasmine like a lost puppy.
"What are you doing here?" I asked, with confusion in my voice.
All of a sudden, her nervous and guilty expression changed into a smirk.
And she walked right up to me and slapped me.
"I've always wanted to do that." She laughed victoriously and turned, walking to stand beside Jasmine once again.

I just stood there in a stunned silence.
But, Luke didn't.
He grabbed my arm and pulled me behind him before  almost growling snd saying slowly between gritted teeth, "Do. Not. Touch. Her."

"Awe, Claire, did your big, scary guard dog swoop in and save you?" Jasmine mocked and Penny laughed along with her.

I rolled my eyes and disregarded her comment, then looked over at Penny and said, "I'm not surprised that Jasmine is here. But, Penny, what are you doing here? Why are you mixed up in this?"
"Claire, Claire, Claire. Your very naive, did you know that?" She asked and I simply ignored her question and waited for her to continue.
"I was never your friend. As a matter of fact, I was never Penny at all." She smirked and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.
"What are you talking about?" I asked lowly, narrowing my eyes at her.
"Isn't it obvious? I lied to you. Ya know there was a reason you never met the real owner of the shop. It was because he never existed. Mr. Edwards owns the shop and he needed an actress to put up this façade with you so that he could keep tabs on you without making it obvious. So he hired me." She said in a duh tone, like she was expecting me to have been able to figure it out on my own.
"Oh, and my real name is Lizzy."
So, my dad is a popular drug dealer who owns the coffee shop I work at and had hired a girl that I thought was my friend Penny, but was actually a twisted, distressed actress ,that goes by the name of Lizzy, who was trying to make a living.

My head was spinning from all the information I had received in such a short amount of time.

And suddenly, I really needed to sit down.