Mourning Song

He was there again. Of course he was there. He was there everyday. No matter what. No matter the weather. No matter if it was a holiday or not. He was always there.

Playing that damned violin. It wasn't that his playing was annoying or bad. It was the opposite actually. The young man played beautifully and it often captured the attention of whoever was in the park.

Standing in the gazebo surrounded by white roses the young man played his violin in a sad tune today. Like a dirge. It pulled at the heartstrings.

He never put out a money catcher such as a hat or a bowl or anything and when money was laid at his feet he just turned away from it and continued to play. He didn't come here for money.

345 days.

345 days this man came to the park and played his violin. And since this park was pretty much his home for 345 days Derek listened to him play. He observed the way that he never answered anyone that tried to speak to him. Just kept his eyes closed and played his haunting melody.

He never played actual songs that Derek knew. They must be originals. The slender young man was in mourning. Derek could recognize it.

The way the man was just giving himself over to his grief in each note that he played on those heavenly strings was heartbreaking.

He wasn't trying to get attention. It was obvious. But then why here. Why in the park. Why would he play here when it was so obvious he didn't want anyone to bother him.

He never smiled. He always looked sad. Broken. Those golden brown eyes only ever looking around the gazebo as if trying to find something as he played. Then he would close his eyes in defeat and play on.

Some days his playing was angry and passionate and wild. Other days it was somber and gentle. Rare days it was inspiringly beautiful and uplifting. But today was heartbreakingly sad.

The young man had turned up early just as dawn rose then played all day. Never stopping. Derek watched from his spot and knew that the young man never stopped for anything in his playing today. Today was different. It was dusk.

The sun set slowly over the horizon and everyone was gone from the park.

And yet there the young man played on. His bittersweet song filling the night air with grief and heartbreak and agony.

Derek slowly made his way to the gazebo to tell the young man that it wasn't safe to be out this late here. He walked with his usual grace and silent approach.

Just as he stood on the Gazebo steps the man stopped playing. His back was to Derek so he didn't think that it was because of his presence.

Derek stood silently waiting. Would he leave on his own? What was he doing just standing there looking at his violin?

"...You lied to me... you told me... you told me you would send me a sign... You lied to me..." The boys voice was a shock to Derek's system. It was so broken. So lost. "... you said if I came here you would send me a sign... if I played for you you would send me a message...You lied to me Mom..."

Derek understood now. The young man was mourning the loss of his mother. His music was only for her. Of course it was.

Suddenly the boy raised the instrument in his hand and was about to smash it against the gazebo but just as fast Derek was there.

His hand gripping that thin wrist in his strong hand and pulling the boy into the middle of the gazebo to keep him from destroying his violin. "NO! Don't break it!"

The pale skinned young man spun around his wrist captured in his grip his eyes wide and a shocked yelp leaving his lips as he looked to Derek.

Derek just shook his head. "Don't break it... you don't need to break anymore..." Derek wasn't really sure what he was saying. But it felt right.

"Wh-Who are you?" the man asked with his pale cheeks covered in tears and those spattering of moles across his skin making him resemble someone. That upturned impish nose sniffling and those big tawny eyes blinking at him in confusion.

He reminded Derek of the nurse that took care of him after he came back from the war a few years ago. The one with big brown eyes and moles and a little upturned nose. The one that told him that one day he would save someone again.

Derek blinked slowly and then slowly took a breath and answered. "I'm the message."

It was that second that the young man in front of him that had stayed so strong for so long crumbled and Derek wrapped his arms around the slender man and held him to his chest and let the boy cry. Let him sob and shake and grieve in the arms of a stranger. And it was the simple action of holding him as he let go that made Derek remember how good caring for someone felt.

Then he remembered what the nurse had told him smiling. The day you save someone will be the day you save yourself.