Chapter Seven

I didn't even bother trying to sleep that day. There would be no point. My sleep would only be plagued with nightmares from the stress of Sophia's imminent arrival. Time slowly ticked by until Katty called me to breakfast. Logan sat close to me, like he had last meal. Then Katty was sending him to stay with the parents of the children he babysat. She didn't want Logan anywhere near Sophia and I thoroughly approved of that decision. Not that I would tell her that.

Logan hesitated next to me before leaving. Then he leaned over and quickly wrapped his arms around me. I stiffened a little, and before I could relax into the unexpected affection Logan was letting me go and rushing out the door.

I bit my lip as I watched him go. I would probably miss him the most. I jumped a little when Jason patted my shoulder on his way past me to the kitchen. I watched him and Katty in the kitchen, cleaning up. There was a tension about them.

I turned back to cleaning my plate. It could very well be my last meal. When I was finished, I sat quietly at the table, just trying to process, until Katty took up my plate and shooed me into the living room.

The Vampires quickly began to assemble in Katty's apartment after that. My friends promptly came over to stand with me. None of us could summon up words. There were none. We all knew what was likely to happen.

I looked up when the door opened once more after everyone had arrived. Sophia came in with her head held high and her loyal dog Pierre right behind her. I grit my teeth and grabbed Jake. He had been the last to arrive, teary eyes and moist lips suggesting Emilio had given him an intimate goodbye before he had come here. And his back was still to the door. I wrenched Jake behind me and took a step forward to get Tucker out of the way just as Sophia's eyes flashed red.

My breath caught in my throat when she was abruptly in my face. Then she was reaching up, one hand clutching my shirt while the other clamped over the back of my neck. She bit down into my throat and my mouth fell open in a silent scream.

It had hurt. It felt like I had been stabbed and then torn a little. Which conflicted with the horrifying arousal that my body supplied in preparation for what would come after my blood had been taken.

Then my body went cold as she began to drink. It felt frantic and uncontrolled. I reached up to grasp at Sophia's wrist on my shirt as the sudden loss made me dizzy. I struggled to stay on my feet as my legs went numb. Heat washed up my back and I knew I was about to pass out. And then I would be dead.

My mind flitted away from that brutal reality.

~ ~ ~

"Here he is My Lady. As requested."

I glanced back at the servant as I was left in a small study. Or perhaps a parlor? I wasn't sure. One wall was covered in books while the far end of the room was dominated by a desk. A pair of chairs faced the desk while two more faced a small couch in the center of the room, set up like a sitting area.

In one of the chairs was a middle aged woman. She was dressed in an old fashioned gown with her blonde hair pulled up into an elegant twist style. She was rather pretty, though there was something off about her. She lowered her cup of tea into her lap as she looked me over and smiled gently.

Across from her, sitting on the couch with her own cup of tea, was the woman who had invited me here. Ann, she had called herself. She glanced over the back of the couch, giving me an appraising glance before dismissing me completely. My heartbeat picked up a little more, turning my uneasiness into true fear.

My eyes flicked back to the regal woman when she spoke. "Come. Sit." She gestured to the seat on the couch next to Ann. "Would you like some tea?"