Chapter Twenty-Four

It took about a week for the incident that had come up while I was at Lilith's to catch up to Katty. I had forgotten all about it, honestly. Especially when Jason got home after a bad day at work and practically tried to inhale me.

He had shoved me into the kitchen, scaring me for a moment until he found something to press me against.  Then he was kissing me urgently. I shifted with a little discomfort when the edge of the counter dug into my back and was pleasantly surprised when Jason lifted me up to sit on top of the counter, eliminating the problem.

I had wrapped my arms around him and kissed him back. I rather liked the affection, even if it was hurried and almost frantic. His hands were all over me, but ever so gentle. He gradually calmed and slowly pulled away. We stared at each other for a long moment, lust on Jason's face and confusion on mine. I wasn't quite sure what had prompted the sudden need to kiss me. Katty carefully broke in.

"Bad day?"

Jason huffed and nodded. "Yeah. Sorry." He dropped his head to rest against my shoulder and looped his arms around my waist, pressed between my knees. I held him for a moment, until he pulled away, laying one more kiss on my mouth before moving to kiss Katty.

I just sat where he had left me, staring after him. A bad day required kissing me? I bit my lip. No. Kissing me made the bad day go away. That was it? A kiss was all it took? No beating on me or heavy fucking?

I was broken from my thoughts when there was a knock on the door. I eagerly shoved my thoughts away as I hopped off the counter to get it before Katty could. "I'll get it."

I opened up the door and immediately got a bad feeling. I was also coming to the realization that I should stop opening Katty's door.

The Vampire on the other side introduced himself as a Mr. Burns. The human standing behind him gave no name. Katty came to deal with her guest and the bad feeling got worse as the Vampire told Katty he was giving her the human as payment for a border dispute she had cleared up. My bad feeling turned to anger when Katty accepted the offer. I managed to restrain myself until Mr. Burns had left and Katty had turned her attention to the human kneeling at her feet.

"What the hell Katty?!"

Her gaze jerked up to me in surprise. I almost started to apologize when I caught a flash of amusement in her eyes. My assertion had pleased her somehow. She smirked. "What?"

I folded my arms across my chest as Jason came back from his bedroom, asking about the incident that had brought the human here.

She nodded and glanced at Jason. "Wasn't really a big deal. Not enough to warrant a blood gift. I would have tried harder to refuse but Max disproves my claim that I don't keep humans and he brought my parents into it. Meaning he's thinking more about appeasing them than me." Her gaze dropped back the human. "What's your name?"

My blood boiled when she cupped his chin in her hand to lift his gaze. I grimaced when he responded. "Seth, Mistress." The honorific sent a shiver down my spine. Jason just rolled his eyes and went to get dinner started.

"Well Seth, looks like you're stuck in my hectic family. I won't be expecting much from you. Nothing personal, just the way I operate. If you need anything, let me know. We'll get your room sorted out for you."

The words just enforced the fact that this was happening. My fragile world was now falling apart. I wasn't the only human and Katty and Jason would either forget about me or begin to treat us all like chattel. I sucked in air, unable to get enough in. I jumped a little when Katty wrapped her hand around the back of my neck.