Chapter Nine

Jake was half asleep when he finally opened the door. He gave me a strange look as he scrubbed his face. "Max?"

I reached forward and gathered him to me, hugging him tightly. "Sorry Jake. Just wanted to tell you I care about you. All of you. And I had to tell somebody goodbye." I took a step back and summoned up enough of a smile that his eyes blinked in confusion.

I quickly turned and got back on the elevator. I waved to him after hitting the lobby button and his eyes went wide in panic. It didn't matter. The doors were closing and I would soon be lost in the crowds.

I stepped out of the building and had to stop for a moment as the heavy scents, sounds, and sights battered me. I shook my head and picked a direction, walking quickly. I had to get out of here before Jake came after me.

I had barely gotten to the end of the block when Jake came skidding out of the building, yelling my name. I glanced back over my shoulder, blending in with everyone else staring at the young man in sleep shorts, a tee-shirt, and little else screaming on the sidewalk.

I swallowed the guilt at the panicked look on his face as he searched the crowds, turning and hurrying away. I needed to put as much distance between me and that building as possible. Then I could start looking for shelter and a job. I could make it on my own. And I would always welcome my friends to join me if they ever came looking for me and a sanctuary from Vampires.

I wasn't sure how long I wandered. What I was sure of, was that someone was stalking me. But every time I turned to look, there was no one even remotely interested in me. I grumbled and hurried along again. Maybe it was just the stress playing tricks on me. Then again, it could be the withdrawal. I hadn't been paying attention back in Katty's apartment, blaming it all on stress and nerves, but now it was harsh enough that I couldn't deny what it was.

I needed a bite. And the desire for the pheromones was making it hard to focus on what I needed to do to get away. Fear choked me every time I realized I had backtracked, or a short rest turned into a long one. But the thing that most irritated me was every time I stopped and turned back, contemplating running back to the Vampires before managing to push myself on.

The sun was setting. I needed to find a place to rest. The Vampires would be waking and then coming to get me. I didn't want them to find me. I hesitated at the mouth of an alley, peering down it. There was enough overhang from the buildings on either side to create a roof. And there were plenty of places to hide.

I took a couple steps in and looked around. I heard something behind me, making my pulse jump. I rushed forward and ducked behind a large dumpster, peering behind it to where I could see a sliver of the mouth of the alley.

A woman stopped there, looking around curiously. It wasn't Katty. This woman was of slighter build and had jet black hair. I could barely make out her features with the waning light. She seemed pretty.

"Hello? Does someone need help back here?"

I bit my lip and tried to calm my breathing. She had sounded friendly. Too friendly. A woman alone shouldn't have been worried about someone hiding in an alley. She should be hurrying home to safety. And the only reason I wasn't telling her this was because I didn't want her to know I was back here.

She slowly smiled, showing glinting white teeth in the dim light. I clapped a hand over my mouth to stifle all sounds and my breath hissing out as she began to change. Horns protruded and grew, shoving her hair aside. A long tail unfurled and twitched slowly back and forth behind her ankles.

Lastly, I struggled not to completely flip out when a large pair of wings protruded from her back and spread wide. She slowly scanned the alley. I froze when she smiled wide and stalked into the alley. "There you are." I gasped when she peeked around the dumpster at me. "Hello morsel. Don't you look delicious."