Chapter Twenty-Three

Katty took me to meet an old friend. A caterer, she was called. A wealth of information on Vampires from a human source was what I called her. And since Katty and Jason had gone out for blood and come home, apparently satisfied on all counts, I had plenty of questions. Because I couldn't understand how blood and sex had suddenly become two separate things.

Which meant, if they had drank someones blood and then not wanted me, that meant they had had sex elsewhere. And that contradicted their claims that they wanted me. Because if they didn't want my blood, and they didn't want my body, then there was nothing left for them to want.

So when Katty introduced me to Lilith and then left us alone, I began looking for answers. She was rather blunt, too, so that helped.

She also didn't seem to be worried about telling me much of anything. Even when I asked her if sex was a part of her blood donation business. She actually laughed. "No. I don't believe Katty has ever had sex with her donors."

I stiffened when Katty went rushing for the door in a frantic worry. Something was wrong. But she didn't want me to come with her. Lilith and I watched her go, then Lilith shrugged and finished making tea, setting a mug in front of me.

"Same old Katty. Always rushing off to rescue somebody."

I glanced at her in question when she sat down with her own mug. She noticed and smiled.

"She didn't tell you about me did she. I suppose she was trying to save my dignity. Or perhaps just forgetting old and painful memories. She does that too, you know. Forgets things so the rest of us don't have to worry about it."

The memory of Katty telling me she had forgotten about me offering myself to her hours after Isaac's break jumped to mind. "That I've noticed."

Lilith smiled and nodded. "Well, where Katty found me was a gutter, selling myself to anyone who cared to look at me. I had been asking questions about monsters and she told me to quit but of course I didn't listen. It got me in some deep trouble. But Katty protected me. There was no reason for it. She just did it. Then she pulled me off the streets in exchange for a little blood for Elizabeth."

I fingered the handle of the mug, running a fingertip over a chip. "That was it?"

Lilith shrugged. "There was school, and she made me quit drugs, but otherwise yeah. That was it. And when I was an adult and ready to move out on my own, she gave me this house and a way to make money."

I cocked my head. "She never showed any interest in you sexually?"

Lilith laughed again. "Once. At the very beginning. But after she took me in, she only looked at me like another sister or a daughter. Not a lover. Then she adopted Logan. I think she likes picking up strays just as much as Tony likes picking up stray animals. Not for any sexual purpose though."

I sighed and dropped my chin in my hand. "Then what makes me different?"

Lilith blinked. "I'd have to know more about you."

Hesitating, I studied her. I didn't like talking about my past, but I really wanted information. Answers. I licked my lips, deciding I could give her the gist of it without going into gory detail. "I used to live with a Vampire named Sophia. She would let her Vampires drink our blood and have sex with us. Then I got sent to try and kill Katty. She took me and four of my friends hostage. Then Sophia told her to keep us. Since then, Katty and another Vampire, Jason, have been telling me they want me. They want to be in a relationship with me. I don't know if I can believe that."

Lilith stared at me for a long moment. She finally shook her head and narrowed her eyes at me. "A sexual relationship with you?" I nodded and she frowned. "Are you okay with this? I mean, they're not forcing you, right? I mean, Katty would never intentionally force someone, but if you're sending her mixed signals or-"