Chapter Twenty-Nine

"No, no, no! Stop doing that with your hands. You're changing the entire move into something nervous instead of strong."

I panted as I stopped the dance move I had been practicing and listened to Belle scold me. She was a harsh teacher, but I was getting enough enjoyment out of the dance I didn't mind. I liked that she didn't treat me like I was damaged. Belle finished her instructions and ordered me to do it again. I licked my lips and slid into the music again, completing the steps according to her teaching this time.

Between the dancing, the weekly self defense lessons, and keeping up with Jason and Katty in bed, I was getting stronger. My stamina was improving, and I was gaining some muscle mass. It gave me a little more confidence in all aspects of my life, which was probably why I could stand Belle's scolding so well now without feeling defensive or guilty.

She nodded in satisfaction when I was done. "Good. Very good. Alright, I'd like to try going through it all, start to finish." She pulled out the chain we would be using as a prop and I took it when she handed it to me. It rattled heavily in my hand.

"Uh, Belle?" She stopped putting things in motion and looked at me. I met her gaze with a little nervousness. "If I lose it, I mean, if it looks like I disappear into my own head, don't touch me." Belle cocked her head curiously and I licked my lips. "I have the tendency to come out of my head swinging if I'm touched and I'd rather not hurt you."

She quietly regarded me for a long moment, then nodded. "You will come out of it though, right? You won't just go comatose for hours on end?"

I nodded. "Most of the time I'll come out of it if you just call me."

Belle turned away to get the practice started again. "Alright."

I took in a steadying breath and moved over to the starting position. Belle tossed me the bit we would also be using as a prop and I placed it between my teeth as I dropped down to my knees, wrapping the chain around my wrists and holding the ends in my hands. I closed my eyes and went utterly still as I felt my mind hovering between maintaining reality and sliding into darkness to escape.

~ ~ ~

I blinked my eyes open, taking in the scene with despair and rage. Juliette smiled at me over Jake's shoulder. She and the boy were grinding together, putting on quite a show to disguise the fact that they weren't actually connected. Then I was glancing up at Henri being shoved into my face.

He gave me an apologetic look through the winces of pain as the Vampire behind him dug claws into the back of his neck. I understood. It wasn't even required at this point. I tipped my head back, tilting a little in invitation. Henri sighed as he was shoved forward again. Then his lips were on mine.

"You all love each other so much, we'll see how deep those feelings run. Stupid humans. You belong to us! We can make you turn on each other just as easily as we can take you ourselves."

Pierre's background noise didn't phase any of us. They could do what they liked. They could force us into doing things with each other. They couldn't change the loyalty we felt for each other. I closed my eyes and blocked it all out.

~ ~ ~

My eyes slid open as the music brought me back. I was about to miss my cue. I shoved the memories away and threw myself into my dance.

Belle was giving me a concerned look, but I didn't lose it again so she relaxed. I didn't get lost when we ran through it for the second or third time either. Belle concluded our practice with a smile and confident words that I was ready, even if the ending still felt a little off. I shrugged it off. We had been practicing for a month and no one had been able to make a suggestion on how to fix the ending. So I wasn't going to stress about it anymore.