A Talk

Emmi

I walk in to School to find sheets for the talent show. I see people signing up. I walk over and look at the people signing up. I sigh. I can sing, but I'm not really talented.

"Hey, you signing up cigarette girl?" I turn around to a red head with curly hair. Samantha, I think is her name.

"N-no." I stutter.

"Good, you don't want to embarrass yourself." She smirks. I look down. She walks past me and purposely pushes me. I look up at her an her friemds. She laughs. I sigh and push used up to only be pushed back down.

"Careful Sam, don't want to litter." Her blonde friend laughs.

"Leave the garbage there, don't wanna catch some disease." The other dirty blonde laughs. I look at the them.

"Run you runt." Samantha spits. I get up slowly and fast walk down the hallway.

Lunch

I walk down the hall to lunch and sit on my own. I pull out my lunch and start eating. I watch the other kids chat happily. I lose my appetite quickly than usual. I throw it away and leave the lunch room with a bathroom pass. Instead I walk outside and sit on the steps.

I pull my knees to my chest and take a deep breath. I watch cars part and sit quietly as tears collect in my eyes. I'm not perfect. And I hate that. I'm no where near and all I could use is a friend. Love.

I hear the door open and shut.i look up from my knees to see our Principal, Mrs.Coleman.

"All students in sixth grade should be in the lunch room." She says. I sigh.

"I'm sorry--"

"Expect you." She says. She sits down next to me. "I may not be a therapist or a counselor, but something is wrong. What's up?" She asks.

"Nothing." I say, forcing a smile like usual.

"Emmi you are the top kid in almost all your classes. In our school. You know better. What's wrong?"I felt weird talking to my principal.

"Just...things." I say slowly.

"Like what?" I sigh.

"Life. My family. My died died eight years ago and my mom's been an alcoholic since. I just have no one at this point."once I say it, a huge wave of relief rushes over me. I stare straight ahead.

"You shouldn't be living there Emmi. You should be with a social worker." Mrs.Coleman says.

"Please don't." I say quickly.

"Don't what?"

"Call social services. I'm already having a hard time as it is, they just want the money and no one wants a kid like me. Beaten." I sigh.

"I won't, just promis me one thing." Mrs.Coleman says, making me look at her. I wait for her to continue. "Give me updates, promis to tell me if anything goes wrong, deal?"

"Deal." I say. She stands up and brushes her hands.

"You have ten minutes until fourth hour." She reminds. I nod and smile. She turns away and walks inside. I watch the door close.

"You can be amazing
You can turn a phrase into a weapon or a drug
You can be the outcast
Or be the backlash of somebody's lack of love
Or you can start speaking up
Nothing's gonna hurt you the way that words do
And they settle 'neath your skin
Kept on the inside and no sunlight
Sometimes a shadow wins
But I wonder what would happen if you

Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave." I sigh, tapping my foot.

"Oh and Emmi," I jump and see Mrs.Coleman, "I hope you sign up for the talent show." She smiles and goes back in.

I let a bug smile spread across my face.

I get up and jump inside.