Wondering

Avia

Confused, we headed back home. Why would she just turn away like that? We had just gotten to know her. And something didn't seem right. I needed to find out.

"Hey Gavin, did something like seem wrong with Emmi?" I ask. He nods.

"Yea. Definitely." He agrees. I think. I never mentioned it, but she smelt like cigarettes and beer, or some sort of alcohol. She says she spends all of her days outside and her clothes were dirty.

I may only be twelve, but none of that makes any sense. I told Gavin and he commented on some of my ideas. I nodded as he spoke and got to thinking.

She said her house was farther back. I bet we could find it, knowing we are the only ones who live in this area from my understanding.

We walk back to the house and I head to my room, ignoring mom and dad's calls for hugs and kisses because apparently thy can't live without me for an hour.

I close my door and walk around. I had no idea what I was gong to do and how I was going to get past my parents. I'm not five any more and I just had to show them that.

I know they lost my older sister, Lilian, but sometimes it will happen. W heave to move past and I can't keep being held back like this. No wonder I'm afraid to a lot of things.

I look at my walls. We're going furniture shopping soon. Maybe if I ask for more not girly things I can get them to think a little differently. Maybe they will realize I'm not as girly as they think. Skirts can be annoying aswell as dresses amd make up.

I decide that's what I'll do or what I can do. Maybe my independence will take a while, but if I rebel a bit and stand my ground things will change.

Now for Emmi Elton. There's something off about that girl. I spy my laptop and sit on my bed, which is the only thing I have in this room so far other than my hangers and clothes.

The school I'm going to has a website for the students, hopefully she goes to that school so that I can find some information on her.

I type in Pocatello Mountains Middle and High School. The site pops up. I click students and impatiently wait for the page to load.

Sorry, couldn't load page

Pops up.

"DANG IT!" I yell. If I'm going to get any closer this better work. Right now it's pissing me off. I hear my door open, I forgot I even closed it.

"Ever heard of a knock?" I ask harshly to my dad. Taken back from my new attitude his mind goes blank and than talks.

"Sorry babe, just wanted to make sure everything's okay." He says, "Is it?"

"A-Okay dad! A-Okay!" I says. He shrugs.

"Okay princess, just make sure the door is open, okay? Especially when you're on your laptop." He reminds me.

"Okay! Whatever just leave me alone." I say.

"What we're you doing any way? He asks.

"Just Googleing my school I'm going to. This year." I say.

"Oh, well good to know. And the Internet is down at the moment, so just be patient honey." He says, leaving.

Great, just fantastic!

Notice my sarcasm.

I close my laptop as a thought of realization comes to me.

Am I doing this for her or for me?

I know I'm worried about her in all, because she seemed to be acting weird, but I feel like this is mostly for me. And that's selfish.

Why should I be worried anyway?

Maybe her mom just smokes, maybe her dad spilt a beer or something. I don't know and I shouldn't be worried. She couldn't be that bad.

I shrug it off.

"Avia? Dinner." Gavin says, peeking in my room.

"I'll be up there in a minute." I reply, looking at the ceiling, lost in my thoughts.

"Oh okay."He says, leaving, closing my door. I sigh look at the closed the door.

I'm going to make a change.