10

we've been driving so long that ive lost track of where we are and ive fallen asleep at least three times.
"hey, tyler?"
"yeah?"
"I was just seeing if you were awake. If your tired I'll pull over and you can lie down in the back seat. ive got a blanket and I think a pillow."
I lift my head off the window and look over at him,
"I'm alright." He nods
we sit in the quiet together for a while longer before josh speaks up again,
"we're almost out of food and we don't have much money left. like, at all." I look over at him.
"Then rob some place."
He looks taken back,
"I-i didn't know if you'd be comfortable with that so I was gonna a-ask but okay."
I shrug,
"I mean we can't really get anything any other way, so."
He bites his lip and nods.
"Well, I think there's a gas station a couple miles ahead." I nod and hum quietly to myself.
after a little more driving we pull up to a small gas station that looked old and eery.
josh looked over at me and clears his throat, "so, is there anything that you'd like specifically?"
I shrug, "I don't know. cereal? A redbull? I'm just hungry." He nods before reaching over to me and opening the glovebox and pulling out a pistol and a mask.
a ski mask.
"so, I'll be right back." He states awkwardly before scratching the back of his neck, "so, don't go anywhere?" I stare at him for a second.
"Trust me. I wouldn't have anywhere to go even if I did want to leave."
He nods and stands out of the car before putting on a backpack he had grabbed from the back seat and tucking his gun into a holster that I had never noticed on his side. He pulls the mask over his face and then jogs into the gas station.
bang
bang
bang
then silence.
it was silent for a very long time before josh came running back out.
i can see his muscles flexing with every move he makes. he's fast, im not gonna lie. he jumps into the car and immediately starts driving. fast.
After we get a couple miles away from the gas station I slowly turn to face josh and see that he's still got his mask on. and the backpack. and the gun. I inhale slowly and reach over to him and peel the mask off of his face.
i scan his features as i do.
he's sweating which is making his pale blue hair stick to his forehead. his eyebrows are furrowed in confusion. probably because I've never been so close to him. I put the mask in my lap and push his hair out of his face and then slowly pull his pistol out of his holster and turn the safety on before putting in the glovebox.
"I'd take the backpack off for you but I can't." He nods
"Thank you."
I shrug and look down at the mask in my lap.
"can I get one?"
he looks over at me,
"A mask?" I nod,
"Yeah, I want one."
he furrows his brows,
"Why?"
"because," i blink slowly
"what you do looks fun."