[ 00 ]

00
transformation

the transformation started out small. over the months, over the years, those small changes... grew. they grew into something bigger, grew into someone with a bigger mind and bigger words. someone that was more comfortable with themselves. a person with no secrets or lies. someone everyone can see right through. someone who is transparent to the world.

-

"can I get a haircut?"

an elderly woman stood by the counter of the kitchen, a short girl standing next to her- presumably her daughter- looking down at her feet in embarrassment. the woman's black hair was neatly tied up into a bun, yet a few stray strands of hair found its way down to her pale, wrinkly face.

a stranger could glance at her face for a single second and know that she was a late bloomer- had a kid at an age most would consider older than normal. but she loved her child dearly, loved her to the point where she wouldn't care if her daughter came home one day and started cussing, started drinking, started having affairs. she loved her.

a haircut wouldn't be as bad as her illusion of a bad daughter.

she bent her back so that her height matched her daughter's, her hands resting on her knees and the crevices of her eyes crinkled up with happiness, "of course, kay... how short do you want it?"

kay ran a hand through her dark hair, unsure of her answer even though she was the one who asked for the haircut in the first place. she rubbed her shoulders subconsciously, eyeing her mother, "i... is a pixie cut okay?"

her mother stood back up straight, warm eyes looking back down at kay with a soft smile. the request was unexpected, but kay's mom noticed that most girls these days seem to sport short haircuts beautifully. so she agreed.

"of course, dear."

-

kay scratched the top of her head, her eyes mindlessly scanning the screen of her computer. her mother, who was tired from a hard day filled of housework, sat to rest on kay's bed.

"mother?" kay perked up, eyeing her new haircut from the reflection on the screen. It had been a long time since she got it done, so it was growing out a bit in the back. a shame. she don't think she has enough money to get another one soon, so she'll have to cut it at home when she has time.

mother sighed and fluttered her eyes opened, "what is it, kay?"

the young teenager pointed a finger at her computer, "will it be alright if i get a binder?"

her mother stopped for a short second, surprised by the question but not exactly fazed by it. a binder. with a reassuring thought that kay will put the binder to good use, she nodded her head.

"of course, kay."

-

the elder coughed out dry coughs, throat burning from the action, her fist covering up her mouth meaninglessly. her entire body shook with each hack, eyes scrunched shut as cold sweat ran down her forehead.

kay sat next to her mom, hugging her tightly as she screwed her eyes shut with anger. her mother, despite her condition, still held the same warmth in her eyes as she did many years ago. the high schooler wrapped her arms around the older woman firmly, but not hard enough so that it would be difficult to breathe.

"do you have any wishes, dear?" her mother cradled kay in her arms in a motherly manner, "it is... your birthday, after all..."

kay looked up to make eye contact with her mother, "s-something small... will be alright, mother..."

"th- cough!- what will your w-wish be, daughter?"

blood pooled around the tips of kay's ears, her eyes diverting left and right as she tried to find the right words to her request. of course, the present she longed for isn't as small as she had worded it out to her mother. it's alright though. her mom will understand. she always does.

"can i be your son from now on..?"

anticipation filled her up as she tried not to burst into tears from how silent her mom is.

"of course... son."

-

rain poured down throughout the town, glistening the roads and sidewalks and everything with its tears. the town was barren, empty except for a few cars driving around.

kay walked silently by himself, a red umbrella resting in his right palm and on his shoulder, shielding him from the rain. he walked at a constant pace until he reached what looked like a cemetery.

he kept walking, purple eyes restlessly glancing around, looking for a single grave.

kay stopped dead in tracks when he found one, a single tombstone with the word 'mary kogane' carved on it. he took a deep breath and stood in front of it, hands gripping on the handles of the umbrella deadly tight.

"hi... mom..." the words came out of his mouth harshly, though he knew himself that he didn't mean it. "it's... been a long time, hasn't it?"

he was answered by not his mother, but instead by the heavy rain and wind blowing through the leaves and branches of every tree.

"it's..." he made eye contact with his shoes, unable to look at his mom. "i- i'm sorry... uh, for... doing nothing but asking you for favours... i was acting like a spoiled kid, and i... really am sorry."

silence. silence that had been filled with soft words from his mother before. silence that should be filled with his mother's words now.

"this is a horrible talk," he found himself laughing quietly at himself, "but... i have one last favour."

...

"is it alright... if you call me keith from now on?"

-

notes: ew this is a sucky intro but yeah :^)

[ status: edited ]