[ 01 ]

the rowdy crowds of the public isn't something keith necessarily liked. in fact, it was something he despised the most on his 'god, the government needs to ban this' list. he never wanted to go to the mall, where he was now, but his college friends dragged him along to, and he quote, "take you out of your misery."

the group of friends was... fairly small, to say the least. it consisted of pidge, a nonbinary with an attitude, allura, a foreign exchange student that has no idea what most things are, and hunk, the only friendly person. And, of course, keith. he had other friends, but they were too busy to come.

keith found his situation quite hellish. he hated going outside if it isn't for work, school, or exercising. but back to the situation at hand...

"ooh!" allura gasped as she pointed a finger at a small shop, claire's, her alluring (get it?) blue eyes lighting up with excitement, "what is that place? it looks stunning!"

hunk sighed loudly and, being the mom friend he was, took allura to check out the jewelry shop. that left pidge and keith.

despite being a nonbinary, pidge still wore feminine clothes for the sake of fitting in with the rest of the kids. they wore a green sweater with cat-like ears on the hood, denim shorts, thigh-high cat socks, and sneakers. of course, they also carried a purse along for... personal stuff. they are biologically female, after all. they just don't like being called so.

the two kept walking in comfortable silence, not bothering to wait for hunk and allura to get back. it wasn't anything personal, really. allura just had a habit of staying at a place for a very long time if she's interested. both keith and pidge knew that they don't have the patience to stay around one place very long, so they have an excuse. 

"where are you going?" keith asked as he sped up his pace to walk besides his friend, who took a turn at the intersection of sidewalks, "hot topic is that way." he proved his point by pointing over to a dimly lit shop with multiple teenagers walking in.

pidge took off their hood and looked up at him, "i don't always go to hot topic, keith. i'm going to see a friend. he said he worked at the starbucks around here."

the taller of the two nodded and followed closely behind, eyeing the large starbucks sign that was a good few hundred meters away from where they both were. keith inhaled loudly, the pit of his stomach feeling quite uncomfortable. he ignored the slight pain that stabbed once in awhile and continued walking. after a minute or so, they both arrived at the café.

stepping inside, keith was greeted with the fresh aroma of coffee. god, he loved coffee. It was one of the best things the world had to offer; scientifically proven by pidge. pidge is great with technology and science, so what they said had to be true. 

"who's your friend?" keith asked, curiosity washing over him like a tidal wave. he wasn't acting like himself currently, but he doesn't know exactly the reason behind his behaviour.

pidge squinted their brown eyes together and looked around before pointing a skinny finger at one of the employees behind the counter, "him."

pidge's friend seemed... troubling. like a troublemaker. someone that pidge should not hang around with. this 'friend' of theirs looked hispanic. but maybe that's a bit too stereotypical. but, yes, keith would say that he's hispanic. his frame isn't exactly muscular like keith expected- the guy's super skinny. at least his sense of fashion isn't bad.

the two friends approached the counter and pidge waved a hand at their friend, who's name is... lance? that's stupid.

"heya, pidge!" lance laughed obnoxiously and gave pidge a high-five, "i didn't think you'd actually come. i'm about to get off my shift. want anything?"

the nonbinary was obviously ticked off at how carefree lance was acting, for someone who's also carefree when they're not in public. pidge adjusted their glasses and stared directly into lance's eyes.

"i don't like coffee." they declared and pointed a thumb back at keith, "but he does."

the hispanic turned his attention over to keith, a tint of annoyance in his eyes, "what would you'd like, then? you're holding up the line, dude."

"u-uh..." keith shrugged, "a... indon't know... something hot?"

exactly five seconds passed before lance sighed noisily, taking off his green starbucks apron, with an exasperated look on his face, "fiiine. you can have me. it'll cost a lot of money though, since i'm not on the menu."

keith wasn't flustered, nor did his face turn red. instead, he cocked his head over to the right with a confused look on his face. pidge bit their lips to contain the laughter before smacking lance's counter.

"go back to where you belong, lance. we'll have two vanilla shakes." they said and threw some money on the counter before walking away, not wanting to hold up the line any longer.

they took his hand and led him over to a table by the glass window, sighing in relief.

"what was that all about?" keith exclaimed after sitting down.

pidge took off their purse and gently handed it over to the korean. keith looked at the purse in confusion.

"did you take the shots the doctor gave you?" pidge demanded, sounding out each word slowly, "because by the look of it, you didn't."

keith's face morphed from confusion to embarrassment, the tips of his ears turning bright red. he hid his face behind the pale palms of his hands, wanting to die right there.

"i'll go buy you a different pair of jeans," pidge sighed and stood up, "you go... do that."

"thank you so much." he squeaked out from behind his hand, his free one reaching up to snatch pidge's purse, "i'd be dead if it weren't for you. i'll pay you back later."

They shrugged, "that's what friends are for. l'd rather not walk around with someone that has a blood stain on their ass. stay in the stalls when you're done! i'll come in after."

keith shrieked and dashed over to the men's restroom, locking himself behind one of the stalls. with pidge's purse in hand, he let out a soft whimper. there was no way he'd be able to pay for all his shots now that his mother is dead. he didn't even have enough money to undergo transition even when his mother was alive.

"this is the worse..."

Notes: Hi!!! I have no prior knowledge of how transitioning works for transgender, so please correct me if anything is wrong! I don't want to offend anyone. I do know, I think, that ftm takes shots to stop menstruation ??? I'm not sure on that though :^) But, as you read, Keith didn't undergo surgery ;)

Hope you enjoy!! Comment any mistakes in the writing~