[ 07 ]

> surprise, bitch. i bet you thought you've seen the last of me

keith groaned out loud, his hands flying up to his eyes to cover his face up in frustration. he was about to beat his high score in piano tiles when pidge suddenly texted him. he made a mental note to beat pidge up later, probably shower them in kisses for good measure.

< i hope u know you're getting your ass whooped tonight

he was currently seated in his apartment, a shelter barely big enough to fit more than a half a dozen people in the same room at the same time. he managed by with cup noodles and cereal.

sitting at the dinner table, keith stared down at his phone, the light illuminating his face up in the dimly lit room.

it's been a week since he last saw lance. they never exchanged numbers and keith was too caught up with school to look for him at the mall. he was even too busy to, dare he say, visit his mother.

> if you say "tonight" im going to assume we're gonna meet up
< you assumed correctly
< im gonna come up
> would you come up if i said i was naked
< no go put on a shirt ew

keith sat up, gathering all his belongings and a pair of clothes. he absentmindedly tip-toed over to where his keys were and exited his apartment, walking up the stairs to the second floor of the apartment complex. keith walked until he reached the third to last door, helping himself inside.

"i'm home!" keith called out, immediately greeted by the loud booms of footsteps coming inside.

pidge waved at him with a bright smile, their small frame adorned by a large white t-shirt and green shorts.

"hello mtv, welcome to my crib." they said, inviting keith inside. "this is where i keep all the bones and flesh of those that hurt my best friend."

keith closed the door behind him, unfazed by the loud creaking it made under his hand. he held his phone up, went on the camera option, and started recording.

"hello pidge. mtv would like to know if your bones and flesh collection has grown since the last time we visited." keith smiled, holding his phone up to capture pidge's ridiculous skit.

pidge took his arm and dragged him to the living room, laughing out loud. the sound was like music to his ears.

"thankfully, i didn't have to murder anyone since last year. i did murder one person though." they pretended to be thoughtful. "it was at a rap battle. he couldn't find anything about me to roast, since i'm so perfect."

keith continued to record the scene where pidge recited the rap they used at said rap battle, his laughs turning into snorts. it was moments like these where he cherished life the most. pidge took on the role of guardian in his life, looking over him no matter what the situation is.

deciding to have mercy on his phone storage, he stopped the filming and placed his phone down on the kitchen counter, his other belongings forgotten on the couch. pidge's apartment was much more large than his, considering that they weren't a broke college student. the kid graduated as a science major when they were 16, which sometimes remind keith he'll never be as smart as the kid much younger than him. it was fine.

pidge has a job, a great one. who knew 17-year-olds could work at nasa? keith certainly didn't.

"so, do you still talk to lance?" pidge inquired, rummaging through his cabinets to find keith something to chew on. "he's been asking where you are. i told him you're busy with studying, which isn't true."

keith bit the fingernails on his thumb and index finger, "there's no reason for me to talk to him."

"there are more than enough reasons." pidge countered.

"i just don't want to talk to him." keith mumbled. "it's weird. he's weird. i'm weird. bleach sounds so good right now."

the lively mood of the apartment was forgotten, buried deep in the corner of their minds. it's alright, though. he's okay with it. best friends always go through depressing moments together.

pidge approached him, their eyes narrowed in what he though was disappointment and pity mixed together.

"you can't run away from everything, keith. where is the brave keith i used to know?" they raised both of their hands to pinch keith's cheeks, "he's right here in front of me. don't let me become this emotional and not do anything about it, keith."

the older of the two laughed, though his eyes a bit glassy.

"what in tarnation."

the two shared quiet laughs together for the remaining of the night, cuddled up against each other on the couch.

this is what best friends are for.

-

surprise, bitch. i bet you thought you've seen the last of me.

i just

(deep breath)

wanted to express my love for pidge and keith and im so emo about season 2 anyways whoa guess who finally updated!!!!! me. sorry for making you guys wait 3(??) months. i swear I'm not dead.