Chapter Seventeen: Mind Games

Zach's POV

I waited on the outskirts of Scorcheath, making sure I was concealed in the clearing before drawing out the heal ball, gulping nervously as I pressed the middle button, the white light almost blinding as the small Pokémon was revealed. It looked completely healed, and I couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief. I felt the rest of my pokeballs open on my belt as they all opened simultaneously, my heart skipping a beat at what my team's reactions would be. Everyone would know. I'd left Chloe's Pokémon with Roy, as he was staying in the Pokecentre whilst I came out to 'train'; the lie almost too easy to believe, so they wouldn't be a problem. I just hoped my team understood. I could hear collected gasps as the small pokemon unfurled itself, tears in it's eyes as it cowered away from the throng of Pokémon. Frizz turned to me, her small arms crossed as she glared at me furiously.

'You better explain yourself. Now.' She frowned, as I nodded quickly.

"Remember the explosion at the pokecentre? This pokemon was there, it was injured, and it's mother... asked me, in a sense to look after it. IT would have died if I hadn't of used the heal ball. And it now gives way to this situation." I sighed, getting onto my knees before the younger pokemon as I coaxed it over.

'So what do we do then? We could release it, but we don't have a release module. And to get one of those we have to..."

"Register the pokemon for release." I finished, as she nodded quickly. The baby pokemon curled up on my lap as I pet their head, hearing them thrum softly, whining occasionally.

'It seems that the only way would be to try and level it up, and evolve it; so you can simply say you captured it at ahigher level. It would be the best option. In my opinion.' Frizz mused, as the other pokemon nodded in agreement. My team coaxed the small pokemon over to them, cooing over it as it visibly relaxed around them.

"Having fun are we?" A voice laughed behind me, as I spun round swiftly, standing up to assess the threat before realising the owner of the voice.

"Hi Izzy." I breathed, as she sauntered closer towards the group.

"Geez, didn't scare you too much did I?" She smirked, as I shook my head quickly.

"My team were going to do some training; Roy's at the pokecentre. I can meet you there if you want."

"Nah, it's okay. to be honest, it might be worth starting ot head to the next town. We have about half a day left, we can get most of the way before having to stop. You can train then." She explained, as I pondered it.

"Just agree with me." SHe drawled, as I frowned at her.

"Fine. We'll go get Roy."

Everyone returned to their pokeballs as I followed her out the clearing, my mind unsure.

But hey, what could I do?

-X-

A few hours later......

We had set up camp for the night, the sun already set below the horizon, darkness taking over the sky. The first stars of the night had started to wink into existence, constellations forming before my eyes. The fire was already roaring; crackling and spitting as it devoured the wood it had been fed, belching out heat and keeping back the biting cold.

I closed my eyes as the Pokemon around me chattered, hisses and squawking deafening me as I let my mind wander. It drifted around, loosely picking up the Pokemon thoughts. Ivor tried to steal Swifts food because he was hungry. Marta joined in. So on and so on..... Until I noticed a lone Pokemon a little distance away; it's body and mind exhausted as it battered and broke the boulders around it with breath-taking speed. But it's thoughts echoed in my head over and over again.