Chapter 16

It was the day before Christmas Eve, and I'd forced myself (and Bucky) to get into a festive spirit. The only holiday I really enjoy is Halloween and I always found Christmas a bit too jolly. But, I decided, since I was free at last, I should enjoy everything in life - including the silliest of holidays.

It was snowing heavily outside. I was wrapped in 3 sweaters and a huge winter coat, yet I was still freezing. Bucky, on the other hand, was wearing just a jacket and he didn't seem to mind the cold. He was actually smiling a bit as he watched the snowflakes twirl around.

"So that's why they call you The Winter Soldier", I joked. He didn't say a word, but I saw him roll his eyes and smirk slightly.

I dragged him to a local mall. It was very small and very cheap. I stopped at the entrance.

"What are we doing here again?" Bucky asked.

"Getting in the Christmas spirit", I said happily.

"And how exactly are we supposed to do that?" He raised his eyebrows sarcastically. I rolled my eyes.

"Don't sass me, Barnes. Go and look around for some presents, then we'll meet at the coffee shop in two hours." I took out my wallet and gave him some money. "You don't have to get me anything", I added quickly. "Get something nice for yourself, okay?" He took the money from my hand and nodded. Then we went our separate ways.

-------------------

Two hours later, I was sitting in our regular corner booth of the coffee shop, watching the blizzard out the window. There were 4 bags on the seat next to me and a hot cappuccino in my hands. Bucky was late, which wasn't like him. I was starting to get worried when he finally burst through the door. His eyes scanned the small coffee shop, looking for me. I waved and he walked over.

I tried my hardest not to laugh, but a smile crept up on my face despite the effort. Bucky looked like a wet puppy. There was snow in his hair and on his shoulders, and he was shaking like crazy. He plopped down on his seat and put down his bags next to him. His lower lip trembled. That's when I broke down into a fit of giggles. I quickly put my hand over my mouth to muffle the sound. Bucky looked up and gave me a death glare that would've made grown men run away with fear. But it just made me laugh even harder.

"For a Winter Soldier, you really can't handle a little snow", I said and burst out laughing again.

"Yeah, ha ha ha, very funny, Andrea. You're so right, there's only light snow outside, no blizzards here", he grumbled angrily.

I wiped away the tears and gave him a wide grin. "Was that sarcasm I heard?" I teased him. Before he could answer, a waiter came to take his order.

------------

I started sneezing as we were walking home. I thought my toes were gonna fall off, they were so cold. I was hugging Bucky's arm to try and keep warm.

"Who's not handling the cold so well now, huh?" He said, shoving me lightly.

"Shut up, Winnie", I scoffed.

"Winnie?"

"The Winter Soldier. Winter. Winnie. Besides, you're a big cuddly bear." I explained, getting even closer to him. He shook with laughter and I smirked. As we were walking by a shop, I caught my reflection in the window. I looked like a tomato in clothes. My hair was wet and my cheeks were bright red from the cold.

"You're weird, you know?", said Bucky.

"Wow. Thanks."

He laughed again and I couldn't help but smile. "It's a good kinda weird. With you, even the most ridiculous ideas turn out great. That's what I like about you: you make things weird but also better."