Chapter 23

There was a huge explosion as we ran out of the airport. It made me run even faster, even though my legs were close to snapping. Bucky was leading us. I could hear Steve yelling and seconds later, I saw him, sprinting, while Wanda, Barton and Lang followed. We joined them without a word. I had no idea why we were even running - Stark and his team were straight ahead, standing still and waiting for us. Captain America is such a drama queen.

We came to a stop about twenty feet from where they were standing. I looked to my right. Bucky was right next to me, and the rest of the team was lined up to mimic Stark's. "Are we doing this for the dramatic effect or...?" I whispered to Bucky. His quick glance told me to better shut up.

"What do we do, Cap?" Sam asked.

"We fight", Steve said ominously and started running again. As if on command, Stark and his team started running towards us, too.

Natasha was going straight towards me, determined as ever. I didn't want to fight her, nor any of these people, but I knew that if I didn't things would end bad for Bucky. And I couldn't afford to lose him.

Once she was close enough, Natasha tried to jump on me. I ducked under her and grabbed her ankle to try and slam her against the floor. That was my first of many mistakes. Her other foot collided with my face forcefully, sending me flying down on the ground. I got up swiftly and dodged her fist. A quick elbow to the stomach and another to the chin, and Natasha was on the ground. I tried to run past her and help Bucky, who was struggling with T'Challa, but Natasha grabbed my leg and pulled me down onto her. She wrapped her knees around me and rolled over so that she was on top. "This is flattering and all but I'd rather we stayed friends", I grunted under her. She smiled. "Don't worry. We'll always be friends", she said softly. For a split seconds, I saw that her guard was down and I took my shot. She didn't even see my fist coming until it hit her square in the jaw. Her grip around my waist loosened and I shook her off. "Sorry Nat", I told her quickly and turned to see who needed help.

Barton was running around, trying to shoot that guy in the red and blue suit out of the sky. The guy kept swinging around, dodging his arrows and the vehicles Wanda was throwing around. Suddenly, Cap's shield zoomed past me and cut through the guys rope, making him fall. He somehow landed on his feet and shot the white substance out of his wrist and straight onto Cap's shield, then pulled him so he could kick him again. He tried to run away once Cap was down, but I jumped in and wrapped my leg around his neck, bringing him down with me. I pinned him down, but he managed to shoot and blind me with the sticky substance, then push me off. As I was brushing it off, I realized that it resembled spider web, only this was a lot stronger. Looking up, I saw him fighting with Steve again. Right in the moment when the kid was under one of those bridges that connects to the plane, Steve threw his shield onto one of the poles that was holding it, making the bridge fall down onto the kid. Thankfully, he managed to hold it up, so it didn't squish him to death. Steve ran up to me and grabbed my hand to pull me away. I wanted to go and help the poor kid.

We took shelter behind a plane staircase. Bucky joined us seconds later. "You okay?" He asked me breathlessly. "Alright, Sam, what's the plan?" Cap asked into the mic on his wrist.

"We need a diversion, something big." 

Bucky and I exchanged worried looks. I didn't like the plan at all. Bucky and Cap were dead set on flying to Siberia to stop the doctor from waking up the rest of the Super Soldiers. The fact that they will probably be overpowered didn't seem to bother them that much.

"I got something kind of big", Lang's voice said through the earpiece. "But I can't hold it for very long." He paused. I kept staring at Bucky's eyes, just trying to drown out all the hell that was happening around us. Just for a second, at least. He looked worried, which wasn't helping. "On my signal, run like hell", Lang continued. "And if I tear myself in half, don't come back for me."