Chapter 26

From the second Bucky and I started sleeping together, the nightmares stopped. Not completely, though. I'd still have a bad dream every now and then, but it never got bad. I started making some progress, too. I did everything that Banner would tell me to, I took all my meds and wasted away in my bed. Frankly, I didn't like it at first. I like to be on the move, I like being active and having stuff to do. Boredom was never my thing. But, after only a few weeks, my wound was almost not a wound anymore, and I could not have been happier. Banner explained it was probably the work of the super serum I was injected with back in HYDRA. I was gonna be left with a pretty big and visible scar, but Tony promised he'd help me have it fixed.

I was really starting to get along with everyone in the tower. Steve always made sure I came along when him, Sam and Bucky would go for a jog. We'd go to a park, I'd bring a book and snacks and read, while the boys ran. Sam and Bucky raced every single time, so I was also in charge of keeping score. I spent most of my evenings with Natasha and Wanda, either talking or watching movies. Clint would join us whenever he was around, but him and Nat would just end up making out while Wanda and I drowned in awkwardness. Bruce would check up on me every day, but our conversations were very short and limited to my medical state.

But the person with whom I had connected the most was, surprisingly, Tony. I would sometimes find myself wandering around the tower out of sheer boredom. One day, I found my way down to Tony's lab. When I entered the room, I was left in awe. My jaw dropped at the sight of the high tech machinery, different robots and Iron Man parts. I walked over to the nearest computer, which had some sort of a design displayed on it. I quickly sat down and placed my hands on the keyboard in front of me, ready to explore everything Tony was working on. I started off simple, just looking at some early Iron Man designs I'd found. I was deeply immersed into the reading when Tony's loud voice broke the silence. 

"Oh man, those are like 10 years old. Why are you looking at them? It's making me cringe."

After we got over the initial awkwardness, he offered to show me his work and maybe even teach me how to build something. I gladly accepted. Since then, I'd spend most of my time down there. Bucky would come visit, despite the fact that he wasn't very fond of Tony and high tech labs. All in all, I was enjoying life with the Avengers, despite not being able to go on missions just yet.

But it was getting kinda monotone. I would do the same things over and over again every single day, and even though I deeply enjoyed all of it, I was getting bored. Until I met the one Avenger that was missing.

I was down in Tony's lab, alone, trying to fix a glitch with one of his tiny helper robots. I unscrewed the top part and rewired it, then proceeded to fix the microphone. I was starting to get quite annoyed. All of a sudden, the room was filled with blinding blue light, making me throw the robot on a nearby desk and jump up, ready to flee the room. But then, the light died down. The room had stayed the same, except the fact that there was a huge man standing in the middle of it. The first thing I noticed was the bright red cape and a huge hammer in his right hand. He had long blond hair, longer than mine - it reached to his biceps, while mine was just above my shoulders - and a beard. His grey eyes met mine and he smiled casually. "Hi there", he said. I was still in shock, so I just nodded. "I'm Thor. I'm presuming you're one of the ladies of the night Stark has around all the time. Would you happen to know where he is?"

It took me a few seconds to properly register his words. He spoke with an accent, I'm guessing Australian, but he looked way too pale to be from down under. I was also pretty sure Australians didn't wear capes and carry huge hammers around with them. "A lady of the night? Wait, you think I'm a prostitute?" I wasn't truly offended because I could tell by his face that he had no idea what he was saying exactly. Tony had already told me about Thor. He was from another world, Asgard I believe it is called, and he didn't quite grasp the social rules on Earth. I presumed Tony had called the girls he'd sleep with "ladies of the night" in front of Thor. It would've been funny had I not been so startled by him appearing out of thin fucking air. Thor's smile disappeared as he realized he had probably used wrong words. But before he could say anything, Tony walked into the room, staring at his phone, per usual, with Bucky right at his heels.