It's Just a new beginning (Nicole's view)

September 16th 2015

September 16th 2015.

I was on a Greyhound headed home from Tucson Arizona; I went up there to visit my dad's side of the family. The window to my right was down and although it was about 90 degrees outside, the hot air was a lot more pleasant than the faint smell of cigarettes and aged alcohol. The bus was making constant stops as we drove through chandler this only made the 8 hour drive much longer. We stopped in Phoenix to drop off passengers who were staying and to also pick up some who were headed to Los Angeles as well. We arrived at the terminal; we must have been there for more than a half an hour because the driver had fallen asleep. I was wide awake now so I decided to go grab a coffee inside the terminal.

The time was roughly around 4:00 pm. Just outside of Phoenix,  I had been waiting in line to purchase coffee for over 10 minutes, the line was not getting any smaller and there was only one cashier. I couldn't be upset, it was early in the evening and the single worker had damn near the entire bus waiting in line to purchase their items. As time ticked by I was starting to get cranky because now I was feeling tired. Outside the bus driver was calling for all passengers to bored, I apologized for wasting the coffee, and I wasn't going to miss the bus. I got back to the bus and my luggage was missing. Stolen property was something we worried about constantly due to our cellphones and laptops. I asked the driver if he had seen someone with a large green duffel bag, "I'm sorry miss, the older gentleman could hardly walk, I gave him your seat and moved you to the back." I had no problem with sitting in the back; I was more worried of my belongings being stolen. I started toward the end of the bus with my head down. I normally walked like that to avoid any unwanted conversations. As I drew closer to the end the stale smell faded and a fresh scent arose. I smelled a hint of cologne; I looked up and made eye contact with a handsome young man. "Hello, are you Nicole? Is this your green duffel bag here?" A nervous smile came over my face; his eyes were piercing but almost too innocent. I thanked him for giving it back to me, he stood up and asked me to sit beside him, closest to the window, I accepted.