Chapter 6

WPOV:
Emma's death may have been one of the hardest deaths I've ever experienced in my life. Not because I knew her well. I didn't. Not because she was so young. Though she was only fourteen. The reason it was so hard for me was because of the way she treated people.

She looked at you like you were the most beautiful thing she'd seen all day. She smiled at you even when she was angry with you. She cracked a joke when you were down. One smile from her could make your day. I'd loved her like a sister.

I was sitting with Nico in the infirmary. He was having one of his worst nightmares yet. Nothing I did calmed him down. I was contemplating waking him up or letting him rest when Jason walked in.

I looked at the wall clock. Ten o'clock p.m. Not exactly late but I had already taken on the nightshift at the infirmary. The only activity still going on was the singalong. He saw Nico sitting in my lap but said nothing. He sat down in the chair next the bed.

"Can I help you, Jason?" I asked.

"It's about Nico." He said.

That caught my attention.

"What is it?" I asked.

Nico yelped and his body tensed. I started rubbing his back.

"Well, I know that you and Nico aren't officially dating but it's obvious you both like each other. So, I wanted to tell you that if you upset him in any way, I will not kill you myself. But let's just say that I don't think I would be able to stop Reyna from tearing you to bits and dancing on your grave."

I glanced over at him to see if he was kidding. He wasn't.

I looked down.

"I don't think you have to worry about that. I don't think Nico feels that way about me." I whispered solemnly.

Nico whimpered and squirmed. I swept the hair out of his face and pulled him closer.

Jason smirked. I pretended not to notice.

"Are you kidding? Today he brought you up in the conversation five times. We were just talking about camp activities. I don't even think he realized he was doing it, but he kept pointing out the camp activities you were good at and mentioned how he wanted to try them some time."

"Really?"

"Really."

Part of me wanted to jump up and down at the news. Part of me wanted to break out in a song and dance routine. Part of me wanted to cry tears of joy. But then there was a part of me slightly past that. It reminded me that if I hurt him, accidentally or not, it could really hurt him. Honestly I didn't care about Jason's death threats to me. I worried about Nico. I didn't want him to get hurt because of me.

I swallowed.

Jason made a face.

"Are you okay? I thought you be happy?"

I must've looked horrified.

"I am, it's just, I'm also terrified. What if I hurt him? What would I do then?"

"I don't think Reyna would actually kill you," he hesitated, "Probably."

I shook my head.

"No, no, I'm not afraid of what Reyna would do to me." My voice cracked.

Nico started whimpering again. I whispered condolences and rubbed circles on his hand.

Jason smiled broadly now.

"Like you said earlier, I don't think I'll have to worry about Nico getting hurt anyway."

He shrugged and started to walk out. When he got to the door. He stopped.

"Oh, and by the way, Piper says that she thinks you'd make a cute couple. I have to agree with her."

With that, he was gone.

I sat there the rest of the night absolutely horrified of the plan already forming in my head. I knew what had to be done. I had to save Nico from myself.