Chapter 14

NPOV:
I stared at the son of Apollo. Then I looked away.

"No you don't."

I shoved Will away from me. He fell off the bed and just sat there looking at me.

"Nico, why-"

"You deserve so much better than me, Will. I love you so much, and I want to be with you forever, but what if my nightmares never leave, what if you wake up every night to my crying? You could have so much more than me. You deserve a hero. You deserve someone I could never be in a million years."

"Nico, I-"

"I'm not done yet! You deserve someone beautiful, kind, and smart, like you! Not someone like me, who's a horrid, awful, beast who can't get anything right. Oh Will!"

Will looked at me. He looked hurt. I started sobbing again.

Why did I have to mess everything up? I thought.

Will climbed back on the bed next to me again and wrapped his arms around me. This time I was too tired to push him away so I let him gather me in his lap. He rubbed circles on my back and ran his hands through my hair.

"Nico, look at me."

I obeyed, tiredly staring up into his sky blue eyes.

"Nico, I love you. Because the Nico di Angelo I know is funny, witty, intelligent, handsome, caring, kind..." He went on.

I took a deep breath feeling better after my rant.

"Okay, okay, I get it, I'm amazing." I mumbled softly.

He chuckled and I got butterflies in my stomach.

"Yes, yes you are."

I snuggled down on his chest. He smelled like oranges. I fell asleep thinking of his laugh. His perfect, beautiful laugh. Just another part of his perfect, beautiful self.
✨✨✨✨
When I woke up, Will was already up. He was looking at me.

"We're you watching me sleep?" I asked attempting to embarrass him.

He only nodded.

"Yep." He said confidently, " You're cute when your asleep."

I pretended to look hurt.

"And I don't look cute when I'm awake?' I asked in mock sadness.

He shook his head.

"Nope, when your awake, you look downright hot."

I glared daggers at him.

"I am the Lord of Death. I am cold. Fear me, peasant." I growled.

He shook his head and laughed.

"No way, your way too adorable."

He kissed my forehead. I realized I was not going to win this argument and grumbled angrily.

"Awww." Will teased.

I punched him lightly on the shoulder.

"Yeah, whatever, Solace, come on. I'm hungry and we slept through breakfast I bet."
He nodded.

"Probably, let's go find out."

Will took my hand in his own warm ones. As we left the cabin a few people started looking at us and staring. My face went bright red with embarrassment. Will put on a huge goofy grin and just smiled at the onlookers.

This was all too much for me. The stares. The whispers. I couldn't do it.

"Will, I don't know if I want to do this yet."

I choked back tears as more and more gazes fell upon us. Will looked at me. He must hate me. I looked away as a couple tears started streaming down my cheeks.

"I'm sorry." I croaked.

He looked a little disappointed. But not necessarily mad.

"Nico, it's okay. Come here."

He pulled me into the woods a few feet away and walked me in aways. He took both my hands in his and kissed my hands.

"Nico, what's wrong? Are you okay? We don't have to do this yet if you don't want."

"Nothing, it's just everyone was looking, staring at us. How does that not bother you?"

He smiled.

"Nico, they weren't judging you, I swear. They were just looking at us because we're the newest camp couple, I'm sure the stares will stop soon."

"But how can you be sure?" I blubbered.

He smiled even bigger.

"Well, I guess that's the greatness of it. I can't. But Nico, after all you've been through, you can't let being looked at by fellow campers bother you. If I was them I'd probably stare, too, after all: you're gorgeous."

I laughed and wiped the tears off my cheeks.

"Okay," I nodded, "I got this."

"Really?" He asked excitedly.

I giggled.

"Yeah."

"Woo-hoo!" He cheered and pumped a fist in the air.

I laughed.

SCRATCH! CRACK! SLAM!

I turned and instinctively jumped in front of Will. I reached for my sword before realizing I didn't have my sword, it was still in the infirmary. I doubted Will had a weapon with him either. He wasn't exactly a fighter.

I scanned the tree lines. I saw a down tree about 25 feet away. Under normal
circumstances I wouldn't assumed that the tree had fallen as trees sometimes do, but it was something about the sound it made that made me think that that tree had not fallen on accident. Something knocked it over. Something huge.

But the only thing that could possibly be that big was...a hell hound.

I have to get Will out of here. I slowly back away and started pushing Will backwards. Then I turned to him.

"Will, run, go, I'll be right behind you."

"Your not going to try and fight it alone are you?" He asked me. His eyes were wide as he scanned the tree line.

I shook my head.

"No. I'll be right behind you, come on." I lied.

I gave him a shove and he took off. At that speed he would be out of the woods by the time he realized I had lied to him. I turned back around as another tree fell. Then out of the trees stepped a red-eyed, sharp fanged, Mrs. O' Leary.

But this was not the hell hound I knew, she was no longer the kind and gentle dog I once knew. I could see in her eyes that she was in it for the kill. And she would most definitely have her kill. A million thoughts ran through my head but I knew what I had to do. By sending her back to the Underworld, she would be able to return to her old self. But the only way I could do that...

I gulped. I would have to use Underworldly Magic.

The hellhound snarled at my lack of movement and leaped towards me. I dived out the way. Her claws narrowly missing my legs. Not even bothering to get off the ground I focused all my attention and focus into one task. Putting the hell hound in the Underworld. Instantly eight skeleton soldiers popped out of the ground. I watched as a black hole opened in the ground and they pulled Mrs. O' Leary into it.

"Nico! Nico!" I heard somebody calling my name.

I was so weak I couldn't even turn to see who it was. I could feel a darkness wrapping my legs, I could feel myself becoming weightless as I disappeared into the shadows. I felt someone wrap their arms around my upper half as my bottom half turned to darkness. I forced myself to open my eyes.

I stared into the eyes of a crying William Solace.

"Nico, no, don't let the shadows take you. Please, I need you Nico."

His words sounded like they were coming from underwater, but I still received the message.

I couldn't die.