Just A Kid.

I sat there on the couch watching an old classic who-did-it film.  I couldn't focus much on the movie because my mind was racing.

Soon enough I heard the door open and in came the gang one by one. First came two but with a long gash on cheek and swollen jaw.

Then came Steve with a broken tooth and a black eye. Afterwards Soda came in with a few bruises and was moving his jaw around.

I got up anxiously and saw my Darry walk in with a few bruises and bleeding knuckles.

I got out the first aid kit and tended to two bit, then Steve, Soda and finally I sat down in front of Darry who was sitting down on the kitchen table.

I took out gauze and antiseptic. I poured it over his knuckles and he winced. I blew on his knuckles and he didn't wince again. I wrapped up his knuckles and looked up at the cut on his cheek.

His eyes never left me. After I cleaned the cut I put a mini bandaid. I was about to turn around when he pulled me on his lap. And whispered in my ear.

"I told you I'd come back." He said in his low husky voice. 

I pressed my lips on his and he returned the kiss. I pulled away and I looked him in eyes.

"Don't leave me ever again." I said breathlessly.

"Never." He said before wrapping his arms around me. The door opened and a stunned looking Pony walked in.

I got off Darrys lap and we both stood up.

"What wrong Pony?" Darry asked.

"Johnnys dead. I don't know. He just died." He said. And I felt sick.

Johnnys dead. The shy quiet boy with a smile that could cure cancer was dead. I walked back into Darry and he caught me. The feeling I had returned.

"Where's Dal?" Darry asked sternly.

"He's gonna blow. I don't know where he went." He said in a monotone voice.  Before walking and sitting down on the couch.

The phone rang and Darry picked up.
"Hello?" He said.

"Alright we'll be right there." He said before hanging up the receiver.

"The fuzz is after Dal we gotta hide him." He said before running out the door. The whole gang and me on his heels.

We approached a crossroad and in the dead of the night I spotted Dal up on the hill. He was holding his gun up at what it seemed to be the fuzz. That's when I realized. That gun wasn't loaded. If it was he would have shot at them.

Bang, bang, bang.

Dally came rolling down the hill. He was shot but when he got to the bottom he got up again pointing his gun.

He wanted this. He loved Johnny and he's gone. Which only means that Dallas had no reason to live. He was committing suicide in his own twisted way.

"DALLY NOO." yelled Darry.

Bang.

And this time the sound of the gunshot was louder. More close and this time fatal.

He started crawling on the road. We all ran up to him. He screamed out in agony.

"HE'S JUST A KID."

His body went limp. And I flipped over his body to see if he was breathing. He wasnt. Dallas Winston was dead.

"Not Dal too." I heard Two yell out.

The ambulance soon arrived and took his body away to I don't know where.

I whirled around and the looks on the gangs face broke my heart. They all looked hurt, lost and in pain. We all walked back in deafening silence. 

When we got back to the curtis house, everyone dispersed and went on their own ways. I was about to leave when Darry caught my hand. He looked heartbroken.

"Stay. Please." He said pleading.

I interlocked my fingers with his and walked into the house.

He led to his room and I stripped off my jeans leaving me in Darrys oversized shirt. He changed and plopped down on the bed. Making room for me.

I layed down next to him and cuddled into his chest.

"It's my fault." He said.

"How baby?" I asked softly.

"If it wasn't for me pushing Pony that night none of this would have happened."He said dreadfully. 

I raised my head up and cupped his face with my hand. He leaned into it.

"What has happened, happened because it was supposed to. All we can do is wait." I said staring into his eyes.

His eyes started to water. "Johnny and Dal are gone cause of me." He said his voice breaking.

"They are not gone. Can't you feel them?" I asked.

"Do you think they are at peace?" He asked. A tear slipping from his eyes.

"We can hope." I said before wiping his tear away.

He flipped us over and rested his head on my chest. "Thank you." He said muffled.

"For what baby?" I asked back.

"For being here." He said softly.

"I'll always be here." I said. Soon enough I heard light snoring.

I fell asleep soon after that with Johnnys face and smile on my mind. He's never gonna blush at seeing me ever again. I'll never hear his soft laugh or his hoarse voice. I wouldn't miss Dally too much. But Johnny. He'll always be at the back of my mind.

He died a hero.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Man Oh man.
This story isn't finished yet.
Stay tuned to find out what happens next.
Xoxo