Chapter 8 - Black Out

---

Chapter 8 - Black Out

---

Shift entered the control room at Indigo base and promptly flopped on to the couch.

“Anything interesting going on?” he asked Kione.

Kione continued swivelling in his chair, altering things on various screen and typing notes at various intervals. “Not really, the city’s pretty much clean tonight,” he said, pushing a flashing button of the screen. “There’s been a few reports of strange sightings, but other than that, no villains appear to be out causing mayhem, for once. No sign of Reader, either.”

“Too bad the radars don’t pick up on villains pretending to be a friend.”

Shift glanced around to find Talia leaning against the doorframe. She entered the room and the door slid shut behind her.

“Pride still wounded I see,” said Kione without taking his eyes off the screens.

“Still completely blind to the threat under our noses I see,” she shot back. “She attacks me and you’re all still completely okay with her--“

“Not exactly unprovoked, Tal,” said Shift. “You’re the one that initiated ‘training’ and got your ass handed to you.”

Talia’s face tightened. She put her hands on her hips. “And she took it too far.”

“And throwing boulders at people is completely within the limits, right?” said Kione.

“She almost killed me!”

“After you started throwing boulders at her.”

“Are you all insane? Has she actually messed with your minds?” Talia looked between Shift and Kione, waiting for a response. “She. Is. A. Villain. And not just any villain, she’s the god damned owl! And what, we’re just going to take her word for it that she wasn’t working with Reader? Wasn’t plotting to bring the city down? Because once upon a time, Raph maybe knew her?”

Shift raised an eyebrow at her. “Pretty sure you’re the one who brought Starpoint tower down.”

That was the wrong thing to say. Talia’s tirade went on a whole new level of volume, vocabulary and angry finger gesturing.

Shift watched her, although not really paying attention to the specific words.

How much do I trust my ability to read someone’s colour?

He considered this question as Talia’s accusations bounced off the walls. Raph and Kione trusted the ability enough to go through with their plan, but did he?

Enough to understand how she’s motivated, at least for now.

In the middle of Talia’s speech about how she was going to report them to the Elites and see them bound, Shift stood up and placed his hands on Talia’s shoulders. She gave him an incredulous stare and opened her mouth but Shift beat her to it.

“Talia, for the love of god, shut up.”

Talia’s mouth hung open. “But she’s a--“

“ Yes, she’s technically a villain, but have you actually ever seen a report that lists the Owl for any event intent on bringing down society?”

“No, but--“

“You trust me, right?” he asked. Talia pursed her lips, which he took as an affirmative sign. “Well trust my ability to read a colour. I read yours when you joined the team, just as I did with Kione and I’ve done it with Athira now. I’m telling you that she’s not a purple, and I’m telling you to give her a chance.”